----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Pleijsier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, June 23, 2006 6:35 am
Subject: [EARLY-GUIT] Re: Decacorde

> Just a remark:
> These "bass guitars" have a weak point: they don't play chromatic
> bass
> lines. Also true for Costes Heptachorde. That one has a low D, but
> it wont
> give you a D#, as it's not a fingered string.
> Sor didn't approve, the Décacorde came in for some stick.

One could make the same argument against any of the myriad incarnations of lute
with open diapasons.

> you call it "of course", the strange thing is that I never heard
> anyone
> observe what I just wrote! This famous Heptachorde, and there's no
> low D#!

It's observed with some frequency, often sited as one reason lutes faded as
chromaticism encroached.

> My remark stems from the fact that I always think, when looking at
> an
> instrument: what can you do with it, except for playing what
> others have
> written?

That's fine.  We, after all, are dealing with "classical" music.  Right or
wrong, the bulk of the discipline is focused on playing what others have
already committed to paper.  Mertz committed a good amount of interesting music
to 10-string guitar with sub-bass diapasons.  If you like that stuff, I think
that's a fair argument to pursue the acquisition of the appropriate instrument.
 On the other hand, the only dedicated music I know for 6-course mandolino
Genovese are three little works by Paganini (that are easily enough played on
the common Neapolitin type) and some bits in an obscure method; I thus find
less incentive to pursue mandolino Genovese.

Every instrument there is comes packaged with a suite of limitations and
capabiities.  Typical guitars are clumsy around close-voiced chords: e.g., you
can't play a chord using F and G without retuning.  If intrigued by a
Scherzer-style 10-stringer, you could also compose music to exploit what it can
do.

Best,
Eugene