Hi,

Although static linking and rpath have their good use-cases, I’m pretty
much glad that default eb/modules behaviour is reliance on LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Let me suggest an example here.

On Jun 26, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Todd Gamblin <tgamb...@llnl.gov> wrote:
> the HPC world, I find that to be a pretty rare case.  MPI doesn't even
> have an ABI, so you're asking for trouble by trying to swap it in.  You
> need something like the hierarchical modules to do that -- where you swap
> in/out entire trees.

I am not sure I fully understand you, but I recall that since about v1.4 of
openmpi
there is documented backwards compatibility and you can freely swap forward
versions:
https://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/versions/
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/open-mpi/software/ompi/versions/ ## check this about
1.4.0, too!

AFAIK, there is *no* other way to resolve a bug like this one, sanely,
http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2015/05/26913.php
without having to recompile the world, if you do not rely upon LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Thanks to the latter, we can now do this without recompiling tens of builds:

```
module load HPCBIOS_LifeSciences ## includes buggy historic openmpi
module swap OpenMPI ## if you have built 1.8.6 this works like a breeze
```

comments?

F.

--
echo "sysadmin know better bash than english" | sed s/min/mins/ \