Hi,

On Jul 23, 2015, at 2:51 PM, Robert Schmidt <rjesc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting Jack, thanks.
>
> Maybe you should put yours in easybuild.experimental?
>
> It seems like the underlying problem is that zlib is not included as a
> dependency of R (but is a dependency of libpng), thus the png tests fail due
> to missing symbols.
>
> Not sure if this is a EB bug or a package bug.
> It seems like something you would hope EB would deal with overall, but maybe
> there is something just a bit weird about this case and why the linker can't
> find the right version of zlib...

As far as I can tell it is a package bug. The pkg-config info for libpng is
incomplete and fails to list zlib as dependency for libpng. Pkg-config simply
cannot guess or smell it without the correct info in the libpng.pc file...

There is not much EB can do about it except for providing us with a machanism
to apply patches and capturing that in a recipe to reproduce the installation
on another site :).

The freetype2 bug is also a package bug. This one is "known", already fixed in
the freetype2 source and will be available in a future release:

        https://github.com/s-u/Cairo/issues/13
        https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?45376

Cheers,

Pi