So what's the preferred practice for jdks and similar items that
required manual download?

It seems that manually placing them in the target directory  like
.local/easybuild/sources/j/java is potentially error prone and not
immediately obvious.  It would be better to have a way to say "find this
upstream in the cwd of where I'm calling eb, or this explicit path" or
something similar.

Is there such a direction?

~jpr