I remember we have commented in some hackathon (while having some beers I
think) about the possibility of distributing easybuild as a self-contained
app. Using something like mini-conda (http://conda.pydata.org/miniconda.html)
with easybuild already installed on top of hit could do the trick. With
this approach installing easybuild would be as simple as uncompressing a
tarball, modifying PATH and use it (supposing a modules tool is already
available). Has this been discussed again or it got lost with the beers? ;)

Maybe easybuild 3.x could be a good moment to do this change. IMHO, it
would simplify the development of easybuild as only one python environment
needs to be supported and tested, it would make easybuild more portable and
would give the main developers more freedom to choose the python version to
use. The provided mini-conda could also provide all the required
dependencies so the --dep-graph option or the git integration works out of
the box (right now you need to add extra dependencies to get those options
working). Maybe we could also include a working Lmod installation inside
the mini-conda tarball so users can choose to use Lmod from the tarball or
not. Maybe it would also help for installations reproducibility.

Probably I am missing some drawbacks about this approach but I don't see
them now.

regards,
Pablo.

--