On 16/12/16 16:47, Siddiqui, Shahzeb wrote:

I will try to attend, is this conference hosted by Easybuild on Google Hangout.

The EasyBuild User Meeting is not a regular EasyBuild conf call, it's an actual 3-day meeting, see https://indico-jsc.fz-juelich.de/event/30/ . We do have some plans to try and record the presentations, but nothing 100% sure yet.

It would be interesting to see how docker works in RHEL7. I recall that Redhat is now providing their own docker images, I would suspect they would be taking security into consideration.

Docker is not a good fit in an HPC context, for several (mostly security-related) reasons.
RedHat may be providing Docker images, but certainly not in an HPC context.
See http://singularity.lbl.gov/faq#how-does-singularity-relatediffer-from-docker for some information on why Singularity is a more viable solution in an HPC context.

We have some plans for working together with the Singularity community to see how EasyBuild can be used to populate Singularity containers/images, which is probably what you are after.

regards,

Kenneth

*From:*easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be [mailto:easybuild-requ...@lists.ugent.be] *On Behalf Of *Alan O'Cais
*Sent:* Friday, December 16, 2016 10:10 AM
*To:* easybuild@lists.ugent.be
*Subject:* Re: [easybuild] Easybuild as containers?

Dear Shahzeb ,

On 16 December 2016 at 15:33, Siddiqui, Shahzeb <shahzeb.siddi...@pfizer.com <mailto:shahzeb.siddi...@pfizer.com>> wrote:

I meant to say is there any benefit of using docker container vs rpm for deploying software packages on a HPC system. If so, I don’t see any support for creating docker images from eb directly.

I think Singularity is a more interesting prospect here (come to the EasyBuild User Meeting in February, one of the developers will be there). I don't know any large HPC sites that allow docker containers (mainly due to security problems).

Alan

--

Dr. Alan O'Cais
E-CAM Software Manager

Phone: +49 2461 61 5213
Fax: +49 2461 61 6656
E-mail: a.oc...@fz-juelich.de <mailto:a.oc...@fz-juelich.de>
WWW: http://www.fz-juelich.de/ias/jsc/EN <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.fz-2Djuelich.de_ias_jsc_EN&d=DgMFaQ&c=UE1eNsedaKncO0Yl_u8bfw&r=RMJdCm7m5fiPWhajwKUnEW5yn4eK2YdUWW-MLVShghg&m=lFMhPQiNfrpQjcyb2-WBHLT_mr1LR4AGfoILbEsDv_M&s=eoCJDWs53lpUewTDQLDgJa15sVrrVpuMrjmIFz-7e2E&e=>

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt