On 01/19/2017 03:38 PM, Ben Roberts wrote:

All,

I have noticed a slightly annoying (if small) side effect of the move to lua module files. Specifically, module help and whatis statements will now be split up across multiple lines if they are so formatted in the easyconfig. An example follows at the end of this message.

This is a problem for me and my site as we prepare our lists of modules by looking at the output of “module whatis”. While we could post-process that output, it is somewhat tedious and error prone to have to do so. The formatting may also be somewhat ugly in general when users consult a module whatis.

This could be fixed, if desired, by removing all instances of the following in descriptions:

“””Some text

Split up

Into multiple lines”””

And replacing it with:

“Text all together on a single (probably long) line”

Any thoughts in this regard?

1) if you syntax check with pep8 (recommended) it won't be
    happy with those long lines
2) causes all kinds of horizontal scroll issues on some viewers
3) there are reasons why I want to split it up.

as a rule, I write

description = """
 first line of text up to 80 cols
 second line of text up to 80cols
 etc.
"""

I find it much cleaner.  As a demonstration for 3) I was working
on an easyconfig yesterday for Intel's Python and used it like this:

description = """
 Intel® Distribution for Python. Powered by Anaconda.
 Accelerating Python* performance on modern architectures from Intel.

To activate virtual environment (for user modules), run: source $PYACTIVATE

"""

That way the message on activating is distinct from the description (unfortunately,
I don't think EasyBuild has a tag for a "module load" message).

My. $.02

jack