Hi Andreas,

On 24/08/2017 20:13, Andreas Hilboll wrote:
Hi Easybuilders,

when I build the Python-3.6.1-intel-2017a.eb easyconfig on the compute
nodes of our cluster instead of the login node, I can only start the
generated python executable on the compute nodes:

     [hilboll@login1 ~]$ module load Python
     [hilboll@login1 ~]$ python

     Please verify that both the operating system and the processor support
Intel(R) F16C and LZCNT instructions.

What do I have to do in so that the executable

a. also runs on the login nodes

and

b. makes optimal use of the available architecture?

Our both logins and compute nodes have Broadwell processors; login is
2620v4 I believe, and compute nodes are 2690v4.

By default, EasyBuild uses -xHost when building with the Intel compilers to optimize for the processor architecture of the system you are building on.

In your case, this is not working out because the processors in your compute nodes are a bit more recent, and support instructions that are not supported by the processors on your login nodes.

So, you'll need to configure EasyBuild to use another -x* option via --optarch, see http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Controlling_compiler_optimization_flags.html.

Also, see the section on the '-xcode' option in the icc/ifort man pages.

regards,

Kenneth