Dear all,

The newest version of the matplotlib easybuild sets the MPLBACKEND environment
variable to Agg.  This causes our users to complain that they can no longer
plot interactively.

I seem to remember that this was done because not setting it caused test
scripts to try to open X11 windows, which is clearly not a good thing.  But
would it not be a better solution to have the test scripts set the backend they
expect?  In particular since setting MPLBACKEND can be done before the module
is loaded, but unsetting can only be done after it is loaded, so all scripts
importing the module will have to be modified.

Setting MPLBACKEND in interactive scripts may not be a good idea, since on
Linux you want TkAgg but on macOS you want MacOSX.

Best regards

Jakob

--
Jakob Schiøtz, professor, Ph.D.