Hi Christian,

On 07/11/2019 10:20, Christian Meesters wrote:
Hi,

The recent updates of easybuild brought forward the Rust compiler as a easyconfig. Is there anyone build modules for applications with it?

I would like to build a library and an application. For this: Would it be a good idea to have something similar to toolchain/compiler/pgi.py? Or is some more intricate approach involving a genuine toolchain better? Any ideas / remarks on this? Anyone already did some work, which did not find the way in the eb trunk?

We already have a couple of easyconfigs for software implemented in Rust, see for example:

https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/blob/develop/easybuild/easyconfigs/l/Longshot/Longshot-0.3.4-GCCcore-8.2.0.eb

and

https://github.com/easybuilders/easybuild-easyconfigs/blob/develop/easybuild/easyconfigs/s/smafa/smafa-0.4.0-GCCcore-8.2.0.eb

I don't think there's a need for introducing a custom toolchain for Rust itself, I see it more as being on the same level as Python & Perl (even though it's not interpreted).

Just include Rust as a dependendy, and use the toolchain that was used to build Rust with, like we did in the examples.

For toolchains, EasyBuild does more than just loading the corresponding module, it also sets up the build environment with $CC, $CFLAGS, etc.

If you'd introduce a Rust-based toolchain, you'd have to do something equivalent for the Rust compiler, and that may involve more than just a toolchain/compiler/rust.py module (since currently the EasyBuild framework is mostly expecting C/C++/Fortran toolchain compilers).

regards,

Kenneth