On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Michael Wood <esiot...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just tried with curl, since I have the sources on my machine and
> it uses autoconf.  I copied it to '/tmp/some where' and then ran
> './configure --prefix="/tmp/some path"'.
>
> The configure step worked without complaint

Packages should be configurable from _outside_ the sources. Indeed, most of
the times sources may be read-only and the compilation directory a
read/write one. Or one may have one set of sources and many different
builds. Try the same from a different directory, like

"/path/to/ecl/with a space/in/it/configure" --prefix=....

Juanjo

--
Instituto de FĂ­sica Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)