On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Daniel Herring <dherr...@tentpost.com>wrote:

> As for the database, you can always split it into separately loadable
> chunks and throw an error if a chunk is not available when needed.

It seems that I did not explain myself properly. There have been several
threads already about embedding ECL into mobile devices which do not have a
proper filesystem. For those, embedding the database is a must. It also
becomes an essential item when having ECL moved around as standalone
executable, or when deriving programs from it -- also a source of confusion
and problems for some users.

I am not going to move ECL from its current single-word (16 or 32 bit)
encoding right now. It would be too much of a hassle. I am just offering the
possibility of having a compromise for devices and platforms that do not
care much about the full character set -- OS X or Windows, they only support
16-bit characters in their libraries AFAIK.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de FĂ­sica Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)