If you can stand another comment from another `Catholic in Recovery'

On Sat, 8 Apr 1995, Jayne S Docherty wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Apr 1995, MS MARY T HALLOCK MORRIS wrote:
>
> > >From a former Catholic, here is my take on the situation
> > with the Pope and his feeling on birth control,
> > abortion,etc....
>
> From another former Catholic -- Amen.  In my opinion, the Pope and the
> vast majority of the Church hierarchy have a lot to answer for and the
> Pope's most recent message was so distressing to me -- when I think of
> the influence it will have in many, many parts of the world where both
> the environment and the people are suffering from problems directly
> related to overpopulation --

Actually, it's been my observation that women everywhere are pretty
sophisticated about this issue.  Catholic or not, I think the global
attitude is pretty much `If I could get it (contraceptives) I'd use it
and the Pope could go to hell.'  My surmise is that only in the
`developed' countries do women have the time or energy to worry seriously
if their eternal souls are in jeopardy.  In countries where starvation is
immanent and death a daily fact of life, women have a much more practical
view of the situation than the Pope supposes.

> Who *are* we to tell them to have fewer children to save the environment?
>
> So, while I disagree completely with the Pope on the matter of the
> "sinfulness" of birth control, I also question the assumption that
> overpopulation is strictly a matter of *numbers*.  My one child is
> probably more destructive to the overall environment than several
> children who live in other parts of the world.  This, in spite of our
> efforts to consume less and teach him the value and joys of living simply.
>
> Jayne

To use a very oldfashioned phrase, don't fash yourself my dear.  We do
the best we can with what we've got.  When one tries as hard as we know
you do, one's only alternative would be to move to one of those countries
and live like they do - but they don't have enough food for you so stay put.

Jacque
[EMAIL PROTECTED]