On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Kylie Matthews wrote:

> what our societies are based on.  Competition and consumerism.  I guess
> also that this idea would be anti-American.  A bit reds under the beds.  If
> no one replies I'll know youre all too scared. :)

So, Kylie, what are you wanting to accomplish with this statement?  I'm
curious.

Faith
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 09:38:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Faith Freewoman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Kylie Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Subject: Consumerism

I hit the wrong key (8) and sent my message about Kylie's comments
without the P. S. which is this:

You are absolutely right about consumerism and simplicity.  I think an
important additional philosophy, which includes simplicity, is
sustainability.  When you make sustainability foremost, simplicity isn't
always the easiest answer, and the questions are complex, asking us (at
least here in the US) to become well informed and alert to new information.

There's also no question that the big boogie internationally in terms of
rampant overuse of resources and massive consumerism is the US.

Granted all this, what would members from other nations suggest we U.S.
members of the ecofem list do ... and let's be specific .. that would
make a difference in how our country behaves ... especially in light of
what's going on at the national level right now?

I think you can assume that all of us are doing as much as we
individually can -- or at least have thought of -- to be mindful in our
style of living ... secondhand clothes and hard goods, eating low on the
food chain, recycling in all its forms, buying recycled, keeping energy
useage to a minimum, keeping our transportation useage to an absolute
minimum (except our feet and bicycles) ... that sort of thing.

What do you think we might not have thought of?  How do you think we
could effectively impact our present cultural mindlessness with regard to
environmental issues?  What do YOU think environmentally concerned women
in the U.S. -- and American ecofem list members in particular -- could do?

I just ask you, when you reply, rather than responding to American
stereotypes, keep in mind what you've learned about U.S .members of THIS
discussion group, and address US, rather than a generalized American
persona.  And, what the heck?  Tomorrow's Earth Day.  Maybe we can start
using your suggestions right away.

Guess this WASN'T a P.S. after all.

Faith
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Apr 21 11:08:15 MDT 1995
          via Charon-4.0A-VROOM with IPX id 100.950421121156.320;
From: "Jackie Van Brocklin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        Jayne S Docherty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:          Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:11:53 CST
Subject:       Re: Woodley

You can say THAT again, Jayne D.!  Most men I know seem to have a
huge LACK of something useful to do!  (Actually, there's damned
PLENTY they CAN do - but try and get them to do it!)

Jackie
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 11:08:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Cuddlemonster/Joy Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: those mal-adjusted women

I would agree with Tamara's reaction to Wood.  He is an
antagonist...ignore him.

Joy Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scion in the Church of All Worlds