Greetings!

Since we have a variety of subscribers, I thought this might interest
someone.  Stefanie Rixecker

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Date: Wed, 21
Sep 94 10:00:11 -0700 From:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: JOB/POST-DOC ANNOUNCEMENTS

                                JOB/POST-DOC ANNOUNCEMENTS
                         Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
                                      Edgewater, MD

POSITIONS AVAILABLE

STUDY OF ESTUARINE BIOLOGICAL INVASIONS BY NON-INDIGENOUS SPECIES

Research Program: The primary focus of the research is to (a) examine factors
that influence the success of invasions associated with ballast water of ships,
(b) characterize the extent and history of estuarine invasions for Chesapeake
Bay, and (c) measure the impact and spread of marine and estuarine invasions.
During 1994-5, we will have a team of 12 scientists and technicians pursuing this
research. Our approach will include sampling ballast tanks of ships, measuring
viability of ballast organisms in laboratory experiments, conducting field
surveys and literature analyses to detect non-indigenous species, and
experimentally measuring the ecological impact of non-indigenous species.

Position Descriptions:  We are seeking applicants to fill one postdoctoral and
several technician positions, as described below:
     (1) Postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for compiling history of
     Chesapeake Bay invasions based primarily upon analysis of literature and
     field surveys; he/she will also assist in some of the ballast water
     research and will have some time for their own research. Qualifications:
     Strong background in marine/estuarine ecology with good working knowledge
     of invertebrate and/or fish taxonomy. Although we are seeking applicants
     with a Ph.D., those with M.A./M.S. and significant experience will also be
     considered.
     (2) Research Technicians will assist in all aspects of laboratory and
     field research (excluding literature analysis) described above.
     Qualifications: Background in marine/estuarine ecology; experience with
     planktonic organisms (especially larval invertebrates) preferred.
     Applicants should have a Master's or Bachelor's degree in appropriate
     field with some research experience.

Salary: Salaries for technician positions will range from $19,416 to $23,678,
depending upon experience, and will include benefits; the postdoctoral salary
will be $25,000 to $29,000, depending upon experience, and also includes
benefits.

Duration & Location:  All positions are for one year with a tentative start date
in October 1994 and possibility of renewal contingent upon continued funding.
Research will be based at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center in
Edgewater, Maryland (approximately 10 miles south of Annapolis).

To Apply:  Send a curriculum vitae (resume) along with a letter describing your
interests/goals and 2 letters of reference to: GREG RUIZ, SMITHSONIAN
ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH CENTER, P.O. BOX 28, EDGEWATER, MD 21037.

For further information:  Contact Greg Ruiz at above adress, phone (301)261-4190,
or send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--Boundary (ID w0/eZPCpepoMirDJoCLElw)--