Hi,

I'm a relatively new subscriber to the list, so I must
admit I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to be
discussed. I WAS, however, hoping for something more
along the lines of what Shawn suggested, i.e. taking
feminism as a given, i.e., the oppression of women and
the degradation of the environment as a given. I am NOT
interested in hearing from a man about how oppressed
he has been. I can and do hear that elsewhere.

What I cannot easily find elsewhere, and perhaps cannot
find here either, is a good discussion about the situation
of women and the environment from people who are thoughtful,
listen, and care. I do NOT think that Al's comments recent
retorts are at all helpful to this end. It is not a case of
whether "continual hostility will help the feminist cause"
but of whether there is a forum in which we, as ecofeminist
women, can put forward our views without having the "Rush
Limbaugh philosophy" shoved down our throats. Now I care
that some men have been discriminated against, just like
I care about many many issues from overpopulations of prisons
and animal shelters to starvation and famine in Africa to
drug use and pregnancy among teenagers. In a sense, all of
the issues are related. But I believe that each person must
focus on the areas that he/she can best contribute to, and
for me, that is women and the environment. So I don't really
want to hear, from this list, about how hard it is for men
to deal with the hostility of women.

So tell me, should I unsubscribe?

Sincerely,

--Gwen Loosmore, student