I was interested in your perspective, and the Euro-centric concerns expressed
in your posting and others.

I have recently been reading the work of Murray Bookchin who thinks that the
idea of spiritual ecology (be it in deep/earth first style or imbedded in
ecofeminist dialog) is antithetical to the pursuit of a fair and non-racist,
non-sexist society.  His argument being that the ideas of the spiritual
(read, in his case, non-objective), except on a personal level, will result
in hierarchical policy. They are important but should be left out of the
government and social institutions. This is certainly true for Americans
today and probably true most other highly populous, multi-ethnic,
technocratic (or headed that way) nations, when taken as a whole.

I am under the impression, however, that several indigenous communities -
some Polynesian, such as the Hawaiian tradition of having an elder be an
overseer of the resources of a group - have traditions that provide examples
to the contrary, where traditional spirituality and ecological respect are
socially instituted in non-exploitative ways. In addition, I feel that
bioregionalism, in its broadest sense, allows for the public to become
accountable and open to tradition that the institutions of state can never
be.  Perhaps while I live in a country that insists on abandoning social
programs for social darwinism and using nuclear power despite the "power of
democracy."

Also, I think that a possibility for ecofeminism is to use cultural
differences positively in its continuum of thought, instead of allowing it to
form a divisive factor amoung women. (without trivializing the real and
hurtful emotions of racism).

What are your feelings about this?

Kim Chaloner, boiling in New York City - but I wish I was on a beach in the
South Island, Aotearoa!