On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, mary hallock morris wrote:

> Where I live in Rural Ohio, anything that has to do with sustainable ag is shunned
>or considered a way to make
> money off of environmentalists.  I am not sure why environmentalists have such a bad
>name around here -- it's
> odd.  One problem is that we (meaning those who support wetlands restoration, etc)
>are undoing all the "work"
> (or in my opinion, damage) that their ancestors did.

I grew up in a place called Lost Nation, Iowa and I can relate to this!
There were few people who appreciated any balance in nature, much less
anyone who might be termed an "environmentalist."  The land was seen
as a way to make a living without having to report to a boss -- and the
consequence of this extremely independent (we might even say pig-headed)
behavior was that farmers never had the political power they might have
had to preserve the family farms.  The agricultural colleges also
encouraged the "American" way of "bigger is better" and the use of
more mechanized equipment (read major capital expense), commercial
fertilizers, and intensive farming practices that were short-sighted
and incredibly arrogant.

Perhaps some of the same farmers who now see agribusiness usurping
their independent way of life might grasp some connections here --
I'm sure you have read Wendell Berry (or is it Barry?).  But then
again, maybe not.

I was back in the Midwest a year ago and some of the practices --
such as the hog-raising factories -- are unbelievable!  Animals
with barely room to stand and with their tails chopped off so that
they won't chew them off in frustration and rage.  Doped up,
pumped full of additives -- every time I think of them I move
to the vegetarian section of the store.

> > This would be a great discussion topic!
>
> Mary
> -------------------------------------
> Name: mary hallock morris
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mary hallock morris)
> Date: 11/27/95
> Time: 21:52:10
>
> Check out my WEB page at http://www.bright.net/~mtmorris/index.html
>
> Grad Student at The McGregor School of Antioch University
>                               Yellow Springs, Ohio
> Majoring in: Community and Environmental Education
>
> "...In Nature, Nothing Exists Alone" -- Rachel Carson

Lorraine Pozzi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]