Dear All:

I've been reviewing a few videos lately in preparation for my
course on "Women, Environment, and the Rhetoric of Development."  As
I go through new sources, I thought I might mention them here.  It
would be great if everyone on the list offered just one new resource
they found useful.  If this happened, the list would receive over 450
sources and reviews, minus any duplicates.  Any takers?

My contribution is a video put out by Classroom Video in
association with Australia Aid (AusAID) and the Geography Teachers'
Association of New South Wales.  The title is "Women in Development:
Women's Roles in the Developing Nations of the Asia-Pacific Region."
It was released in October 1996 and has a total running time of 26
minutes.  Producer/Writer/Director is Sandra Fulloon.

As an educational resource for high school/secondary school, it is
particularly targetted at an age range of 14-18.  The video is
divided into four parts, covering: Women in Development, Women's
Health and Education, Women and Poverty, and Women and the
Environment.  Issues concerning cultural tensions due to colonialism
and/or traditional practices are also covered, e.g., contraception,
endangered species (sea turtles, specifically).  The places the video
covers include: the Solomon Islands, North Vietnam, and the Islands
of Palau.  The video offers a solid, informative introduction into
the four topics mentioned above. In undergraduate or graduate
classes, I think it would be useful as an introductory video--first
week of class or at the beginning of a session on the Asia-Pacific
region--rather than as an in-depth, analytic piece.

The video comes with instructional material for teachers; again, this
is focused upon the secondary school context.  It offers a couple of
fill-in-the-blank and multiple choice sheets derived from information
in the video.  There are also suggestions for role plays and
discussion topics.  Both the video and the accompanying teaching
guidelines are easily accessible.  I highly recommend the video to
secondary school teachers, and I also recommend it to university
teachers (more as an introductory resource).  It's great
to learn more about women in different contexts, especially in the
Asia-Pacific region!

For information regarding the video, you can contact:

    Davis Film & Video Productions
    Unit 7/81 Frenchs Forest Road
    Frenchs Forest NSW 2086

    E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]