I'm sure you are already aware of this particular path of investigation
but there are quite a few books written about "women-oriented" religions
that encompassed the use of natural forces, natural plants, etc. such as
the Druids, witches, and many others, who were extremely supressed, even
persecuted by mostly male-dominated societal leaders.

I believe the men in power, especially during the middle ages, were afraid
of the results (healing, etc.) of the women practising these religions and
didn't want the knowledge passed on because it would have detracted from
their own leadership abilities.

Two books that come to mind are "The Crucible" (even more detailed is a
specific book I read about Tituba, the Jamaican slave who was using herbs
for healing and was the first woman accused of being a witch in Salem) and
another book I don't have right at hand but I believe it's called "The
History of Feminine Consiousness."

Good luck on your paper.  There are a lot of resources.  Keep in mind that
many Native American tribes were/are Matriarchal in composition, as well.
 As we destroyed the land, we also destroyed the people who used the land.

GEMINI E-ZINE (Writers wanted!)
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/twinsouls/gemini.htm

Personal Poetry Page
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2287/

wrote:
: Hi everyone,
:
: I have to write a big, big essay on the connections between the
: oppression
: of women and the oppresion of nature. If anyone wants to discuss such
: things
: please feel free to help me out.
:
: thanks a lot,