>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thu Oct 13 07:46:08 MDT 1994
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thu Oct 13 07:46:07 1994
Date:         Thu, 13 Oct 94 09:45:43 EDT
From: Natalie Alane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:      Re: environmental racism and the Third World
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

On Wed, 12 Oct 1994 19:33:03 -0600 Todd said:
>toxic waste dumping in the Third World

sucks.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 12:56:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: gad! a fly!

Roxanne wrote:  Part of Gadfly's proposal for moral thinking about non-human
animals "sounds an awful lot like the Golden Rule..." and then pointed out the
fact that many religions propose something like it.  I'd only say that in my
intro ethics course I usually point out that it is possible to give an egoist,
cultural relativist, utilitarian [and other teleological], deontological, and
other readings of the Golden Rule [including that those with the gold tend to
rule!].  My suggestion was to counter the egoism that lies behind most
anti-ecological views by starting the discussion with the ego in question.  If
one can then show one cannot block the moral consideration of non-humans based
on the principles the dissenter wants to apply to her or himself, one can get
much farther with a pro-eco view...

Natalie thinks I've contradicted myself.  Obviously, I don't think so.  She
says my prodding to others to consider language and ethics, etc., "means
nothing when you state that *you* think anyone who doesn't agree with "us" have
values you consider wrong!!"  All I have to hold is that it is possible to get
these topics wrong [it could be them--those I called enemies of nature--or it
could be me].  The question [and remember I raise it in a friendly inquiry into
what ecofeminism is] is what should the analysis look like?  I think eco-views
often assume an undigested moral perspective which somehow gets translated into
a sort of science-stance [hence the appeal to the existence of food chains,
etc.].   That's why I sign myself.....Prof. Gadfly  [cf. Plato, APOLOGY]