FYI...

Stefanie Rixecker
ECOFEM Coordinator

Title of Conference:  GENERATION(S) of CHANGE

call for papers call for papers call for papers call for papers

FOURTH ANNUAL WOMEN'S STUDIES CONFERENCE
MARCH 4-6, 1999
VALDOSTA STATE UNIVERSITY, VALDOSTA, GEORGIA  31698

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

PAULA  KAMEN & KATE MILLETT & HELENA MARĶA VIRAMONTES

Educators, students, community activists, theorists, and all proponents of
social change are invited to submit proposals for papers, workshops,
roundtables, complete panels (3-4 papers), and performances examining the
generation of change and the changing generations. Please note that
topics>are not limited to academic presentations only. Creative submissions
in various media are encouraged. Complete performance pieces (short
stories, poetry,dramatic and artistic presentations) and proposals for
academic papers must be postmarked by November 27, 1998. E-mail submissions
are acceptable.

Feminist theories continually challenge canonical disciplinary paradigms
from the "transcendental ego" of philosophy to the "detached observer" of
science.Even the metaphors of personal identity have been shaken by such
shape-shifters as Donna Haraway and Judith Butler. The theme of this
year's conference is designed to elicit thoughts on how women have been
both agents and beneficiaries of change. Proposers might consider the
following subject areas:

        ·       historical or recent changes within the feminist movement,
        ·       the growing polyvocality within feminism
        ·       the alliance of feminism with postmodernism and post
                colonialism
        ·       the impact of new ideas of "personhood" on the academy and
                other educational systems
        ·       transformations toward economic, social, and political
                equality for women of color
        ·       the changes in the professions- business, law, medicine, and
                science-caused by the insistence for equality
        ·       religion, women and change
        ·       third wave feminism

Notification of paper acceptance will be made by December 15, 1998.  A
registration form and general conference information will be included with
your acceptance letter.  All inquiries, correspondance, and submissions
should be addressed to:

                                                A.V. (Viki) Soady
Director of Women's Studies
                                                Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(912) 249-4842 FAX:(912)293-6300

                                        Proposal Reply Form
                   O Paper               O Workshop       O Roundtable
                   O Complete Panel               O Performance

Presentation Title:
Name of Author(s):

Check one:         O Faculty            O Student       O Professional O Other
Department:______________________________________________________________
Institution:_____________________________________________________________
Address:_________________________________________________________________
                        City                    State                   Zip

Day Phone:_____________________________ E-Mail: ______________________________

A/V Equipment Requested:___________________________________________________
                (Equipment should be requested when the proposal is submitted)
Would you be willing to moderate a session?  O Thursday  O Friday  O Saturday

Conference Fee Information
The conference registration fee is $60.  Admission is FREE for graduate and
undergraduate students. Minimal fees for meals will be determined closer to
conference time.
Please send one copy of a 200-word proposal for academic papers or a copy
of complete performance pieces (short stories, poetry, dramatic
presentations, ect.) accompanied by the Proposal Reply Form postmarked
by November 27, 1998, to Dr. Viki Soady, Women's Studies Program,
Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA 31698. Women's Studies Program
VSU's Women's Studies Program was established in 1992, and offers an
undergraduate minor. It is an interdisciplinary program with
participating faculty drawn from the various colleges within
the university.  Faculty within the program are committed to exploring the
ways in which women have generated change and have benefited from change.
Toward this end, our fourth annual Women's Studies conference will focus on
the contributions and experiences of women, to foster research, to raise
interest and awareness, and to provide for intellectual exchange on
generation(s) of change.

History of the University

A special act of the Georgia Legislature established an institution of
higher learning in Valdosta, Georgia, in 1906.  In 1912, the Legislature
granted an adequate annual appropriation for maintenance, and the future
of the institution was assured.  The college, called the South Georgia
State Normal College, opened to "young ladies" on January 2, 1913, and
offered two years of college work.  An act of the Legislature in 1922
changed the institution's name to Georgia State Woman's college at Valdosta
and authorized a four-year program leading to the bachelor's degree.  The
Board of Regents made the college coeducational in 1950 and changed the
name to Valdosta State College.  In 1993, Valdosta State College became a
Regional University within the University System of Georgia.

Location of the University

The University is located in Valdosta, a city of 48,000 in south-central
Georgia. It can easily be reached from three exits off I-75 and is
convenient to shopping areas, a variety of restaurants, and movie theaters.
 The Valdosta area is served by the Valdosta Municipal Airport with flights
to and from Atlanta and by the airports in Tallahassee and Jacksonville,
Florida.  The two campuses, located less than a mile apart, include more
than 168 acres of land. The campuses of Valdosta State are widely
recognized for their exceptional beauty. Flowering plants include a variety
of camellias, azaleas, redbud, and dogwood, all located amid tall pines,
palms, and oaks spaced throughout the landscaped grounds.

>Dr. Viki Soady
>Director of Women's Studies
>Regents' Distinguished Professor, VSU, 1998-9
>124 West Hall
>Valdosta State University
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>FAX: 912-293-6300
>
>Phone:  912 249-4842
>

>Dr. Viki Soady
>Regents' Distinguished Professor, 1998-1999
>Director of Women's Studies
>124  West Hall
>Valdosta State University
>Valdosta, Georgia 31698
>
>912-249-4842
>FAX 912-333-7389
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>amor vincit omnia nos cedamus amori  -  Vergilius
>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dr. Stefanie S. Rixecker
Division of Environmental Management & Design
Lincoln University, Canterbury
PO Box 84
Aotearoa New Zealand
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]