Date sent:              Sat, 17 Oct 1998 21:35:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:                   Lagusta Pauline Yearwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:                     STUDIES IN WOMEN AND ENVIRONMENT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                i'm not gay, but...
Originally to:          STUDIES IN WOMEN AND ENVIRONMENT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Heya ecofems,
>
> I've been reading these messages, and I'm always alarmed about how even
> enlightened, progressive, obviously non-homophobic people feel the
> need to preface every comment that defends gay rights with the "I'm not
> gay, but..." or "by the way, I'm straight" disclaimer. I understand that
> on one hand maybe you do it because you think it will make your argument
> stronger (you believe in this so strongly that you will fight for it
> although you are not *it*), but it smacks of an icky kind of separatism.
> Wouldn't it seem that part of what you are fighting for would be that
> people wouldn't have to be so uptight about their preferences, that they
> wouldn't feel the need to create these us vs. them categories (even if
> "us" is helping out "them")?
>
> It reminds me of all the people in my women's studies classes who are so
> obsessed with making it known that "i'm not a feminist but..." then go on
> to say something classically, obviously feminist.
>
> Just some thoughts,
>
> Lagusta

Point well taken, and I was considering that my outing myself as a
hetero inferred that my argument was being made on its own merits,
without subtext, and that I was employing no personal agenda in
making it, or in taking the position I took.     Joe