THE INDEPENDENT, London, October 10, 1998

Genetic crops may be banned

          By Charles Arthur and Michael McCarthy

          The Government is considering a three-year
          moratorium on the commercial planting of
          genetically modified (GM) crops in Britain.

          Yesterday, it summoned leaders of biotechnology
          companies based in Britain, including the giant
          Monsanto corporation, for talks about a voluntary
          code, which would delay wide-scale planting of
          transgenic crops at least until 2002.

          Recommendations from yesterday's meeting will
          be passed to the Environment minister Michael
          Meacher and the Food minister Jeff Rooker.
          They will decide what action the Government
          should take over the biotechnology companies'
          plans.

          The United Kingdom's first bioengineered crop,
          an oilseed rape that can survive being dosed with
          a specific weedkiller, is due to be grown and
          harvested next year. Many more are waiting in the
          wings, but the Government's wildlife adviser,
          English Nature, believes the whole process should
          be halted while essential research is carried out on
          their possible effects on the environment.

          The front-line crop, developed by the Belgian firm
          Plant Genetic Systems, has been cleared for
          growing in the European Union. It now only
          requires British clearance for the herbicide
          developed to go with it. That decision would
          normally fall to Mr Rooker. However, it was
          learnt last night that the Government has begun its
          own review of the EU decision to see if it can be
          reversed.

          The latest moves follow mounting concern about
          the possible health and environmental effects of
          the new plants, which have this year been the
          subject of an outspoken attack by Prince Charles
          and attacks by protest groups that have torn up
          scores of plants at test sites.

          Last July, English Nature called for the
          moratorium, arguing that the use of stronger
          weedkillers on crops genetically engineered to
          tolerate them could have a "catastrophic" effect
          because it could destroy other plant, bird and
          insect life.

          Last Monday, officials at the Department of the
          Environment, Transport and the Regions (DETR)
          invited English Nature and environmental pressure
          groups to restate their case to Linda Smith, head
          of the DETR's biotechnology unit, and a senior
          official from the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries
          and Food. Yesterday, it was the turn of the
          companies. Officials will now make
          recommendations to their respective ministers.

          A Monsanto spokesman said: "Some groups have
          said that they want to move to a moratorium. The
          purpose of the meeting is to let both sides voice
          their opinions. Once those have been gathered, it
          is up to Mr Meacher to take a view. We had not
          planned commercial planting of crops until 2000."

          Earlier this year, Mr Meacher expressed qualms
          about the advent of wide-scale commercial
          planting of GM crops. "These are difficult issues,
          in particular the wider indirect effect on fields," he
          said. "The allegation that it can lead to sterility of
          fields obviously is a matter of great concern."

          Getting companies to agree to a moratorium
          would be quicker - and legally easier - for the
          Government than seeking a ban on an issue that is
          largely controlled from Brussels.

          GM crops have become politically important
          since 1996, when Monsanto began planting soya
          modified to resist its own herbicide in the United
          States. It almost sparked a trade war with Europe
          when the GM soya was exported without being
          marked.

          Growing consumer resistance in the UK and on
          the Continent has led to labelling of foods made
          from transgenic crops, but the governments in a
          number of European countries - particularly
          Germany and France - are resisting companies'
          attempts to introduce new products.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HOWEVER:

URGENT WARNING REGARDING PROPOSED MORATORIUM (one persons opinion)
NB: GENETIC CROPS MAY BE BANNED (there is no talk of a ban!)
Plan to halve trials of genetically modified plants condemned by Friends of
Earth

URGENT WARNING REGARDING PROPSOSED MORATORIUM

Before getting too excited about the news from today - please bear in mind
that the moratorium (that is merely being suggested) will NOT include testing
of GE crops in the open environment and therefore these tests will continue
and very likely increase heavily throughout the three years. The GE
contamination of the countryside and surrounding wildlife will also
continue along with the trials. The GE seeds will be collected and ready
just in time for the end of the three years. Don't forget either the
absurdity of the talk of a moratorium when thanks to the retrospective
legislation that was pushed through only days ago - the commercial approval
has been made far simpler for industry - (see article)

Nor will the moratorium include imports of GE food from elsewhere, the vast
majority of which will still remain unlabelled on supermarket and other
shelves around the country and in most peoples shopping trollies.

Patents on new GM crops will also continue to race ahead.

THIS IS NOT A TIME TO RELAX OR TO CELEBRATE!

What the moratorium will do is give the companies three years to bombard
the UK with a PR campaign the likes of which we will not have seen before!
Some PR advisors have suggested that the only way forward for the Industry
is to
impose a voluntary moratorium that could then be used to bolster their image.
With the way public opinion is going in this country it is the best and
possibly only way for them to go for them PR wise. We will need to do more
work than ever to put our case forward now and Industry will clap
themselves on the back and say hey look how reasonable we are being. At the
end of the three
years they will turn around and say, hey look you have all been eating it for
the past three years and you don't have two heads yet. Nor will the moratorium
address two basic facts that GE food is unwanted and uneccessary.

The voluntary moratorium also gives the UK government a very nice way out
thankyou very much. They would not have to stand up to the EC or to the
threats from the USA, (the EC is taking France to court over the moratorium on
oislseed rape and sugar beet, which they introduced a few weeks ago). The
suggestion of a moratorium does highlight a possible split in government as
MAFF's Jeff Rooker has said all along that there is no possibility of a
moratorium yet now Meacher seems to be saying that in fact there might well
be.

One good thing about this it is the fact this moratorium has only been
suggested because of the amazing pressure and awareness raising of so many
people throughout the UK. It is also significant that Michael Meacher is
publicly expressing concerns about GE - this is a very new position for the UK
to take in Europe. However lets be under no illusions and be prepared for the
really difficult task ahead if industry go ahead with this voluntary moratorium.

Quite rightly many people will not be happy until there is a complete ban
on GM foods and crops while others will not be happy until a truly inclusive
moratorium is imposed. One which will last for five years, that will include
testing of GM crops, the import of GM foods and the granting of patents on
lifeforms.

Anyway just a few thoughts - keen to hear more.

All the best

GEN

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Plan to halve trials of genetically modified plants condemned by Friends of
Earth

By James Meikle

Guardian (London) Friday October 9, 1998

Government moves to halve the field trials required for genetically
modified crops were attacked by environmental campaigners last night.
The Ministry of Agriculture said seed companies would now need only
two years of official tests to establish the standard and safety of
new products. It plans to abolish requirements for manufacturers to
conduct at least two trials over two years. The department recently
admitted it had not been enforcing the rules for non-genetically
modified seeds for years.

Friends of the Earth said the decision was "unfortunate and
shortsighted" when so little was known about genetically modified
crops.

About 200 types of non-genetically modified seeds have been given
approval without going through the full procedures, but the
Government, which had turned a blind eye, now plans to change the law
because "it had no value whatsoever and was not enforced". The rule
changes will apply retrospectively to validate the flawed approvals.
Pete Riley, food campaigner for FoE, said the rules should not be
changed for genetically modified seeds, and ministers should retain
the power to demand longer tests on all varieties.

"Several seeds can be disastrous on farms and be susceptible to
disease. If you halve the amount of testing you could miss particular
weaknesses in different conditions. This is particularly unfortunate
when the genetic modification industry is so new."

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 /`\   /`\             RABBIT INFORMATION SERVICE:                _   _
(/\ \-/ /\)    P.O.Box 30, Riverton, Western Australia 6148      (.\_/.)
   )6 6(       http://www.wantree.com.au/~rabbit/rabbit.htm       \6 6/
 >{= Y =}<                   VEGETARIAN PAGE                      =\ /=
  /'-^-'\          http://www.geocities/RainForest/4620            /O\   /
  |  .  |                                                         U   U  )
  |     |}    Pity the human race its illusion of permanence     (|   |)/