People (sorry, I don't remember who) have been discussing the dangers of
ethnocentrism regarding FGM (female genital mutilation), assuming that this
is a practice confined to Africa.  Yes, I oppose this ritualized violence
against women, and no, I don't worry that I'm imposing my Eurocentric, middle-
class values on anyone.  As with most political issues, I think the integrity
is at the grassroots level, and there IS, in Africa, a grassroots, women-lead
movement against FMG, so my opposition to the practice takes its lead from
these women.  But more importantly, I would point out that FGM, in some form,
was a very popular early 20th C "treatment" for middle-class White women in the
US.  FGM is more IN KEEPING with Eurocentric, middle-class values than we would
perhaps like to acknowledge!  Yes, I'm sure there are African women who are 
proud to have "cut" their daughters and who prattle about being "foolish" women,
just as we in the US have Miss America pageants and Republican wives stupid 
enough to vote for George W (sorry, I'm in Houston and still having a hard time 
accepting the election results:)).  FGM is mutilation; if you're tempted to
grudgingly grant it status as a cultural ritual, read Mary Daly's description
of it in _Gyn/Ecology_ or Alice Walker's in _Possessing the Secret of Joy_. 
Or read about the "rest cure" that inspired Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The
Yellow Wallpaper."  There was also an excellent article about a year ago in
_Ms_ about the African movement against FGM.

In peace,
Sara

Reply via email to