As the word "person" derives from a word meaning "mask" or "face", and since
cows do indeed have faces, it is not absurd to extend the word "person"
towards them. In fact, using criteria of face -- as in looking in the face,
looking in the eyes -- is a pretty good one. Can you look a person in the face
while you kill them / keep them locked in totally unnatural conditions for
ridiculous periods / genetically alter them / mutilate them?

And again, regarding "self-righteousness", no one has answered  the question
of whether they condemn murder, torture, or enslavement in the human realm. I
am simply extending this to other persons mammalian or avarian. If you think
that those who have a problem with these in the human realm are "self-
righteous", then I guess by extension I am as well ; however, obviously we
don't share the same criteria.

I don't get any sense of "self-righteousness" or "superiority". I simply have
stopped participating in ethically appalling acts. I have the blood of 20
years on me that keeps me from feeling superior to anyone. It's simply a
matter of facing facts, and deciding how one is going to position oneself
accordingly.