POSTED BY: The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

attacked by sealers in the Magdalen Islands. It looks like the seal wars
are back on. "Seals are meant to be clubbed, not coddled," said one
representative of the Sealing Association. "Who does Watson think he is?
Does he think we will exchange the club for a hairbrush? We are men,
sealing men. We are not women."

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
3107A Washington Blvd.
Marina del Rey, CA. 90292
USA
Telephone: (310) 301-7325
Fax: (310) 574-3161

Internet Representative:
Nick Voth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

**TEXT BODY FOLLOWS:**

RETURN TO THE SEAL WARS
by: Captain Paul Watson

The barbarians were at the gate. They were drunk and they were angry, a
mob of misguided illiterates hell bent on one thing - - to kick my ass, or
worse.

I could hear them surging through the second floor hallway of my hotel,
viciously kicking and pounding at doors, terrorizing guests and
screaming that they would kill me.

In my room, I was not feeling very secure. Marc Gaede, our
photographer, was with me along with two plain clothed officers form the
Quebec Police Force.

"What do you intend to do when this mob breaks down that door?" I
asked.

"We can do nothing."  One said as he shrugged his shoulders, "We
cannot defend you."

A vicious kick to the door and a roar from the halls indicated they had
located my room. I was in Room 201. Next door in Room 207, Lisa
Distefano was with Chuck Swift. Media people from Europe and North
America were in other rooms, all of them held prisoner to this terror.

We had not expected this attack. We had arrived in these islands in the
middle of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, not to protest sealing, not to interfere
with any one's business, but to offer an alternative. I had discovered that
the short, hollow hair follicles of the baby harp seal had excellent
insulating qualities, ideal for making bed comforters and sleeping bags.
In only a few days, Mr. Tobias Kirchhoff of Kirchhoff Bedding Fabrics of
Germany would be arriving to offer jobs to sealers. He would pay 30Cdn
per kilo for the hairs. We would be bringing jobs to an economically
depressed region of Canada.

These would be jobs created without having to kill a single seal. The
molting hair fibers could be quickly and easily removed from the seals.
Each pup yielded an average of sixty grams, gathered in less than forty
seconds. The most attractive feature of the idea for me however was that
the harvesting of the hair did not kill, hurt or even stress the animals. In
fact, what we were proposing is a cruelty-free, non-lethal method of
sealing.

We were also looking at a way to save the fish. Only by increasing the
seal population do the cod have a chance of recovery. This is of course
contrary to what fishermen would have us believe. Less seals more fish
they say. Unfortunately, the answer is not so simple. Ecological systems
are both complicated and fragile. The truth of the matter is that the
largest group of predators preying on cod are not seals but other species
of fish. Historically when there were thirty million seals, there was no
shortage of fish. Now both fish and seals are in decline. By finding a way
to use seals without killing them, we would be helping both seals and
fish and helping to restore the eco-system as a whole.

The traditional sealers would have no part of a "sissy" plan for non-lethal
sealing.

"Seals are meant to be clubbed, not coddled," said one representative of
the Sealing Association. "Who does Watson think he is? Does he think we
will exchange the club for a hairbrush? We are men, sealing men. We are
not women."

Organized by a few, a meeting of the Sealing Association turned ugly
earlier in the day. Reporters were ousted from the meeting and
threatened to not interfere. By late afternoon, fired up on alcohol, the
sealers occupied the lobby of my hotel and refused to allow anybody to
enter or leave. We called the police and they refused my request to order
back-up from the mainland. The ten officers on the island arrived at the
hotel but made no attempt to disperse the crowd.

The sealers screamed that they wanted "no part of a faggot idea like seal
brushing." They were also angry with me personally for having interfered
with sealing on the ice in the years between 1975 and 1983. The Sea
Shepherd Conservation Society and our ships had not been forgotten.
Our success a decade before was a bitter memory for them. We now
presented them with an opportunity for revenge.

Martin Sheen went to the lobby and requested that the sealers come with
him to the church to discuss the problem. They threatened to hang him
if he didn't leave. Martin was then warned by an officer to return to his
room and that his safety could not be guaranteed.

"I was in fear for our lives," said Mr. Sheen. "This is the ugliest, most
violent mob that I have ever witnessed."

The door cracked, the door frame collapsed and the mob burst into the
room. I jumped into the bedroom and barricaded myself with the bed
against the door. A roar filled the next room as the sealers surged into
the area where Marc and the two police officers were waiting. Both
officers were shoved against the wall. Marc was thrown to the ground
and pinned.

I braced myself, shoulders against the bed, my feet firmly against the
wall. It was like attempting to hold back a human avalanche. The force
on the door was so powerful that my feet were driven into the wall. The
door splintered and gave way as debris flown of arrogant ignorance
surged through the doorway and poured into my room, stinking like a
burst cesspool after a booze party. They were screaming with rage, their
faces contorted with hatred.

I turned to face them and it was the most terrifying sight of my life. At
least thirty of them had entered the room with another thirty in the room
behind them and two hundred more filling the hallways and lobby of the
hotel. The vile madness in their eyes will never be forgotten. I knew with
absolute certainty that I was a dead man. There was no escape. My back
was against the wall.

In my hand I clutched my only means of defense, a stun gun, taken from
our ice equipment. Meant to discourage a rare attack by a male hood
seal, the device could knock down a man without any problem. Three
hundred of them was out of the question of course, but I'd be damned if I
would die without a struggle.

One of the ringleaders leaped forward and punched me on the side of the
head. I dropped him with the stun gun and stuck another coming from
the right. This confused the others momentarily. Another pulled my hair
and punches and kicks connected painfully. I zapped a third sealer as
two of them spit in my face. I was going down.

The only thing that saved me was one large sealer with the sense to know
they were going to far. He put his back to me to block the others and this
stopped them long enough for two uniformed police officers to make their
way to me, screaming for me to leave the island. I said that I would not.

The cop screamed at me, "you will leave or you will be a dead man in one
minute."

"I will not submit to this mob, I will not go into that mob, no way."

The cops grabbed me and pulled me from the room through a gauntlet of
punching, kicking and spitting sealers. I felt my legs kicked away
beneath me, I fell, stumbled, and then I was pulled to a waiting car and
thrown into the back seat. The back right window shattered against my
face. The cop behind the wheel jumped from the car to apprehend the
man who smashed the window and a sealer jumped into the driver's seat
beside the officer in the front and the car took off, leaving another sealer
in the back.

As the car left the parking lot, I saw the mob turn on Steven Douglass, a
photographer from the London Daily Mirror. His cameras were smashed
and they punched him in the face.

At the airport, I was taken behind the security partition as the crowd
surged into the small building. There were only three officers with me
and three hundred screaming people hammering on the glass partition.

The mob demanded that I wipe the blood from my face and pose for a
photograph to prove that I was uninjured. I refused. The police told me
that if I did not cooperate they could do nothing to guarantee my safety. I
refused. I could not believe that the cops were taking orders from the
mob.

A plane had been ordered from the mainland. I waited before that
enraged screaming mob for an hour and a half until the plane landed
and I was escorted out on to the runway and sent against my will to
Moncton, New Brunswick where I was taken to the hospital by the
Moncton police and then released the next morning.

This was not my first experience with mob violence in the Magdalen
Islands. In 1979, my crew and I barely escaped with our lives after
disrupting sealing activities. We had been prepared then, after all we
were in the middle of the seal wars which ended in 1983 with a victory
for us when the European Parliament banned seal pelts. These guys were
obviously bitter losers who had little use for our attempts at
reconstruction. What we had taken away we were willing to replace with
a more positive industry and an approach that promoted life instead of
death.

The sealers were not interested in jobs or a better life. They simply
wanted revenge. In the meantime, the terror had not stopped on the
islands. The mob returned to the hotel to intimidate the rest of my crew
and to demand film and videos from the media. A German television crew
were told by police that their safety could not be guaranteed unless the
videos were turned over to the sealers. They gave them five cassettes to
appease them. Their main story had been successfully hidden in a snow
bank.

Bob Hunter of City TV in Toronto was also threatened but he also was
able to trick them into believing he had nothing left.

Satisfied that there was no documentation, the Quebec police told the
outside world that nothing had happened. Oh, they said, "There was a
peaceful demonstration, but no violence and Paul Watson voluntarily left
the Magdalens when politely requested to do so by the sealers."

All of us who were involved were astounded at the blatant lies from the
police. We were even more astounded when much of the Canadian media
echoed the lies and refused to run comments by journalists who had
witnessed the incident.

The next day when I called to request that charges be laid, the Quebec
police spokesperson told me, "you were lucky to get off the island alive so
don't push it."

I was forced to lay a complaint with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police
(RCMP) but was told by writer Farley Mowat who had contacted the
Canadian Solicitor General's office that Canada would be most reluctant
to interfere with an issue involving Quebec sovereignty.

Meanwhile, an idea that could provide many jobs for unemployed
islanders was violently rejected by sealers whose only market for seal
remains the selling of the amputated penis to the Taiwanese voodoo
medicine trade to be dried, powdered and mixed with tiger bone as a
means of restoring impotence.

All around the islands, we saw numerous bodies of seals left on the ice
with just the penis removed.

Given an opportunity to embrace life, the sealers of the Magdalen Islands
decided to embrace death instead.

**END OF TEXT**