Mary Simmons wrote:
"Any statement that starts with the idea "what you people need to do is..."  is
very condescending."

I agree.  And it is also a clue to me that the comments are coming
from a place of dominance and are an invitation  into the game of
of power and control.  It can provide an opportunity to understand
how I get pulled into power plays and whether I find some pleasure in it.
I'm interested in learning how to speak from a place of personal
responsibility which, I think, moves me away gender issues.
Whether I am understood by another is not always key for me.  As I
don't want to base my speaking on someone else's response.  Sometimes
I speak in order to maintain my own integrity and am willing to take
the consequences.    Nor do I want to continue the violence perpetrated by
the "for your own good" school of education.
Unfortunately, I have an assumption that when
white males speak, no matter how good intentioned, their unconscious
agenda is to preserve the status quo.  This is a gender analysis.
If I make a racial analysis I find, as a caucasian women, I have more
invested in the status quo than women of color.   I think I experience
both the place of privilege and oppression.  I'm not sure white
males do.   I think I experience the fear of letting go of the status
quo as much as I recognize the need to do so if humans are to
survive.
lea
[EMAIL PROTECTED]