In response to June's anti-Marx post, I must agree with jwnwrght that
ecofeminism must also incorporate some sort of socalist politics. June
said that the "from each..to each" formulation was unworkable on the scale
of sociiety we live in now -- and I agree! The ecofem part of my analysis
of our incredibly unsustainable culture is that we need to take a hard look
at exactly how it is that we are living, try to understand as fuly as possible
by contrast the long-term sustanable systems of the earth, and to *change*
our culture to harmonize with those systems. One of the things I've been
firmly convinced of for some time is that capitalist-consumer culture is
grounded on disconnecting people from real community, which by definition
(I think) means that you need a radically decentralized distribution of
power, amongst groups of people who can really get to know one another to
form such communities.
A few days ago, somebody posted a negatve comment about Murray Bookchin, his
criticism of the Deep Ecology movement a few years back. While I don't agree
with everything Murray has to say, I think he did hit the nail on the head
when he traced the unsustainable exploitation of the earth that we see in our
culture to the fundamental exploitation of people that goes on under capitalism
. Our relationship to the earth is IMHO completely mediated by our CULTURE;
that is, the way(s) in which we relate to one another. That's where my
ecofeminist approach begins -- the understanding that our relationships, our
fragmented kinship structures, lack of community, hierarchical power relation-
ships AND our exploitative capitalist economic system are all interconnected.
In order to address how we as a species engage the planet, we need to address
all these issues of how human communities function.
P.S. IMHO, "the ecological crisis" is primarily a human one -- we respond
adequately and in time (if it's not already too late) and we save our own
asses. Given a few thousand years, the Earth will always be able to regen-
erate herself. . .and we'll be just as failed as the dinosaurs.
So let's talk!
-Beth
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed May 10 08:47:00 MDT 1995
via Charon-4.0A-VROOM with IPX id 100.950510154738.640;
From: J M Brough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 15:48:29 GMT
Subject: Re: ecofem/politics
Reply-to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
X-Confirm-Reading-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
X-pmrqc: 1
Return-receipt-to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Re. Beth's post:
> The ecofem part of my analysis
> of our incredibly unsustainable culture is that we need to take a hard look
> at exactly how it is that we are living, try to understand as fuly as possible
> by contrast the long-term sustanable systems of the earth, and to *change*
> our culture to harmonize with those systems.
(and the rest of it) - I think your analysis is spot-on, especially
the bit at the end. As you say, if we don't do something pretty
soon - hello dinosaurs, here we come.
J M Brough
Senior Secretary
School of Mathematics and Statistics
The University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT
>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Wed May 10 09:31:35 MDT 1995
via Charon-4.0A-VROOM with IPX id 100.950510103540.384;
From: "Jackie Van Brocklin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Organization: UTA Libraries
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Golden)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 10:35:39 CST
Subject: Re: Flameing
OK-OK nuff said! But - "flameing/schmameing" - my POINT (which must
have been totally lost-once more) is **ECO** and THAT particular
part of this group discussion! I was only kidding ("teasing?") -
please don't turn paranoid on me!
I am GOING to stay on track here..... *I* didn't bring up the
political aspects of environmental policy, but simply gave my views!
Of COURSE, the Demos didn't produce a perfect environment. But -
under whose "reign" did the laws we presently have get passed?!
No where and no time did I EVER say they were "perfect!" I simply
said they are the ONLY political group to even BOTHER with the
subject at all! And, again, while we are sitting around getting
our feelings hurt (at no time did I mean to do this - PLEEEZE),
legislation is biting the dust daily.
Susan said I was "male bashing," and Shawn doesn't like "generalizing
based on gender difference;" actually I don't either! But it sure got
your attention, eh! (Glad you can't hit me.....heh,heh) Excuse me,
but this group is called *ECO*-FEM [the "fem" ALREADY differentiates
between the sexes - hey, I didn't name it!].
Before you all think I am more insane than I actually am - I am part
of a 4-member "team" who *SHARE* this thing (PC). I may have 2 hours
TOPS on it daily (unless I stay over...). I am being constantly
interrupted and noise is very distracting (this is also the BREAK ROOM
can you believe it?). This is why I have a very short period of time
to try and get to the point - and my frustration is probably showing.
AGAIN - "read my *WORDS*" can we talk "ECO?" As Beth said this
morning, "...respond adequately and in time (if it's not already too
late) and we save our own asses.....So let's talk!"
Yes - **LET'S!**
Jackie