Dear Ecofems;
      Once again I'm moved and appalled by the woman's
experience who shared in Digest 1453.  One of the
grounds of my spirituality is nature, and feeling
welcomed and at home in the forest.  It was a very
profound and saddening thing to hear that almost no
woman I know feels safe walking alone after dark, even
in the 'middle of nowhere'  Maybe especially there.  I
have no solution or suggestion about the situation.
I'd like to share, though, a perhaps not unrelated
dynamic from a male point of view- that of being
single, frustrated in my feeble attempts to connect
with women, and frequently possessed by this
mythological vision of the seductive, attractive
woman.  I said to one friend once, in my exasperation
"So much for the great patriarchy-  men have
everything they want- except the one thing they want
the most!"  Of course, it could be a kind of just
deserts; if the only power the patriarchy leaves to
woman is the power to seduce and to reject.  And even
people who have no intention to exploit this dynamic
are still caught in it.  It's just a thought I thought
I'd throw out- maybe the solution is the solution to
both of these problems (female fear, male frustration)
is the same thing...
Maybe I'm just revealing my ignorance of even the very
basics of feminism here, but I'll throw it out
anyway..
      In hope of a safer and more ecstatic world..
         Bob Burns, in the Georgia wilderness