I was one of the approximately 80 women who stayed in solidarity in the DC
prison this past week due to the World Bank/IMF protests.  While for the most
part, all of the stories in the FWD I reiceved were true, I wanted to point
out that perhaps some of the positive should be focused on as well, as all of
the negative.  I was part of a group who was dragged off our bus by US
Marshals when arriving at the courthouse, slammed into cement walls, and put
into shackles.  As well as in the same cell as the hypoglycemic women that
was spoken of (actually there were a number of us who had severe low blood
sugar in that one particular cell).  I witnessed first hand these incidents,
and they will follow me for the rest of my life I'm sure.  And with the help
of Midnight Special we are suing many of those involved.
    But I wanted to point out that within every cop, US Marshall (even the
most violent), and guard and warden in the jail I met I was able to find a
sense of humanity and connect with them on that level.  This war that we are
fighting was not against the District of Columbia, nor the armed forces that
were put on the streets and in the jails to resist us.  It was about these
institutions and our desire - our need - to bring about change in their
policies that create world wide disaster and suffering.
The same marshals that threw us into basement walls and intimidated us the
most brought us water when we needed it (granted it was many hours after we
had been confined without it), and brought those of us who were the most
severely weak from hypoglycemia their personal food - a few crackers and a
granola bar and an orange because people were sick.  The conditions that we
were exposed to were an understandable result considering we had flooded
their system and thrown it into chaos - a goal of mass arrests. Huge amounts
of human rights violations took place within those walls and throughout the
week; and it is hugely important for them to be recognized and action against
them taken.  So thank you to those who helped by making phone calls in our
support.  The country really mobilized behind us, and solidarity was not
restrained by prison walls or distance.  So I just wanted to say, that these
injustices were  definitely a part of the issue at hand, and they certainly
needed to be dealt with.  But I hope that they do not overshadow  everything
else.
    We didn't shut down the spring meetings, but we did spread awareness.
There was brutality - physical and mental, but there was also a stronger
unity and power between people than I have ever witnessed  before.  There
were continuous vigils outside of the prison in the rain throughout the week,
pressure was constant from people around America and around the world (calls
came in from as far as Europe and Tokyo) on legislators, the jail, the court
system... We were blessed with the most amazing and enduring lawyers ever -
Midnight Special.  And I was blessed with sharing a section of the DC
Correctional Facility with 80 of the strongest, most beautiful women ever (as
well as our amazing men counterparts who weren't with us, but fed with
strength and love).
As of early morning, Saturday, April 23 all of the prisoners have been
released.
This movement is only beginning here in the US, but it is gaining momentum
and strength rapidly.  On April 17 I stepped over a line into solidarity not
only with 80 other women and 60 men in the DC jail, but also into solidarity
with the millions around the world whose lives have been affected and bound
by the World Bank, IMF, and WTO.  And if 160 prisoners along with the
strength, support and pressure from outside of those walls can bring the DC
prison system to it's knees, we can be sure that with that immense power and
unity worldwide, the same fate for these institutions is certain.