Forward from Angela --

I just read this interesting article.  It is what I was trying to say to
the
Ecofem list however, Mr. Fields says it more eloquently.  Would you be
kind
enough to forward this article to the Ecofem list and give them my
regards.
OK if you do not want to.

Happy New Year!
Thanks!
Angela
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`````
THE TIME IS NOW
By Rick Fields

A growing recognition that we need a spiritual response to the
ecological
devastation of our planet is taking shape under many banners: spiritual
ecology, deep ecology, Earth-based spirituality, eco-psychology,
feminist
ecology, creation spirituality, Gaia consciousness, and Dharma Gaia to
name
just a few. Thinking about all these variants, it occurred to me that
they can
all be considered as a kind of yoga of the Earth - Earth yoga.

Shortly thereafter, I came across an essay by religious scholar
Christopher
Chapple on yogic environmentalism. The yoga tradition, he wrote,
includes
resources that can increase environmental awareness. Practice of the
asanas
(postures) and prana (breath) bring enhanced awareness of the natural
world,
and our senses become receptive to the elements of Earth, water, fire,
and
air, and to the movements of the cosmos of the sun, moon, and stars. The

ethical precepts of yoga also fit well with environmental precepts, says

Chapple. Nonviolence limits harm to animals and the Earth, nonpossession
cuts
down consumption, and through the practice of purity we become aware of
pollution. And the ultimate philosophical goal of yoga, he concludes,
involves
the cultivation of higher awareness, which, from an environmental
perspective,
might be seen as an ability to rise above the sorts of consumptive
material
concerns that can be harmful to the ecosystem.

Dr. Chapple's essay encouraged me to go further and think about the
practice
of an Earth yoga - a yoga that would cut through our denial, awaken us
to our
situation, inspire a truly Earthy spirituality, and help us defend and
restore
the Earth.

Just as in yoga we relax and stretch muscles constricted by the stresses
of
civilized life, so would the practitioner of Earth yoga extend his or
her
practice to include the body of an Earth attacked by the multiple
stresses of
civilization. From the viewpoint of Earth yoga, the body of the Earth
is, like
our own, a complex living organism, and like our own, sacred. Gaia, as
the
scientist James Lovelock calls her, has rainforest lungs, riverine
arteries,
soil for skin, rock bones, an oceanic heart that pulses with the slow
beat of
the tides, themselves pulled by sun and moon, winds that move like
prana, a
delicate aura of ozone and a mysteriously evolving force and
unfathomable
wisdom that creates and sustains and destroys and again creates all
life,
including ours, in a cosmic rhythm we can only contemplate with awe.

The practitioner of Earth yoga seeks to know this body upon and within
which
we live as we seek to know our own bodies. So the practice of Earth yoga
might
best begin with that portion of Earth closest to you, your bioregion or
watershed. How many of us know, for example, where our water comes from
and
where our water, after we've used it, goes? How many of us know the
contours
of the body we live on? Yoga teaches us, among other things, to care for
our
bodies as sacred, inside and out. As we come to know the body of Gaia as

intimately as we know our own, we discover places that have been
wounded,
polluted, poisoned and that need to be restored and healed. This is
karma
yoga, the yoga of work and action.

Thus just as yoga cleanses and purifies our bodies, Earth yoga cleans
toxic
dump sites and polluted rivers. And just as yoga restores our body,
Earth yoga
restores the body of the Earth: renewing streams that are no longer safe
for
spawning salmon, replanting clear-cut hillsides, reintroducing wolves
and
buffalo.Earth yoga also recognizes the necessity to preserve and defend
wild
lands. It teaches us to fight as spiritual warriors, without hatred, and

without attachment to winning or losing. In accord with the first
principle of
ahimsa, Earth yoga follows the way of direct nonviolent action
introduced to
the world by the Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi, developed in America by Martin

Luther King, and used more recently in defense of the Earth by Earth
First!
and others. But while Earth yoga embraces action, it is based on the
peace of
contemplation and the calm eye of wisdom at the center of the hurricane.
There
Shiva, cobra coiled around his neck, sits on top of Mount Kailas.
Wilderness
retreats are an important practice of Earth yoga. People emerge with a
tremendous amount of inner insight, wisdom, and energy, almost as if
they
receive an initiation directly from Mother Earth herself, reports John
Milton,
who runs a week-long retreat called Sacred Passage. And that empowers
them to
go on and do things that are often unbelievable in their effects.

At the same time Earth yoga also includes the yoga of bhakti, or
devotion.
Rituals such as the Council of All Beings developed by John Seed and
Joanna
Macy help us identify with the Earth. Yoga has much to contribute to the

development of such rituals. The movements developed by Seed and Macy to

reenact our evolutionary journey, for example, could be augmented by the

nature-inspired asanas of hatha yoga. Earth yoga teaches us how to stand
(and
be) like a mountain, or a tree, rooted in the Earth, reaching for the
heavens.
Poses like fish, cobra, crocodile, lion, and camel help reconnect us
through
imaginative embodiment with our animal kin.

The gods and goddesses and myths of India can also play a part. Hanuman
the
monkey god is worshiped as the servant of Ram; Ganesh, the son of Shiva
has
the trunk of an elephant; and Vishnus avatars include a fish and boar.
The
message is clear: Divinity can often take an animal form and so monkeys
live
free and unharmed in many Indian temples. The Jataka tales recount the
Buddhas
previous animal lives, and the sacrifice of his own life to feed a
starving
tigress and her cubs. At its highest level, this view leads to the
radical
ahimsa of a Gandhi, who shocked European visitors to his ashram by
insisting
that they co-exist with snakes, scorpions, and spiders, recognizing, as
Arne
Naess, the founder of deep ecology, writes, a basic common right to live
and
blossom, to what is sometimes called biospherical egalitarianism.

The root meaning of yoga, we often are reminded, is union, joining,
bringing
together. And so Earth yoga: the yoga that leads us to realize the
unity, the
oneness of human and Earth, civilized self and wild Nature: the Great
Mystery
we have never been, and cannot ever be, apart from.

The name Earth yoga may or may not serve us. But as John Seed and many
others
show, something very like it already exists, in vision and in practice.