Hello ECOFEMers:

I was asked to forward this announcement to the list.

Stefanie Rixecker
ECOFEM Coordinator

Date sent:              Mon, 02 Oct 2000 10:21:37 +1300 (NZD)
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                Creating and Using a Just-in-Time Syllabus
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please share this announcement with interested members of your listserv.
Thank you.
Shyamala Raman
Associate Professor of Economics and International Studies
Saint Joseph College
West Hartford, CT 06117

>>The International Association for Feminist Economics and The IAFFE
Teaching and Pedagogy Issues Committee invites you to

>>   Creating and Using a Just-in-Time Syllabus
>>
>>               WHEN: January 4, 2001
>>            (The day preceding the 2001 ASSA meetings)
>>
>>              WHERE: Tulane University
>>                New Orleans, LA USA
>>

>>As more and more time sensitive information and data becomes available to
educators through Internet and print media and as students now enter our
college and university
>>classrooms well versed in the mechanics of web exploration,linking these
two in our pedagogy becomes a challenging task.
>>Recent discussions of Just-in-TimeTeaching (JiTT) have made exploring the
Just-in-Time Syllabus (JiTS) a more intriguing idea as a strategy for active
and inclusive learning. The goal of this workshop is to demonstrate and
provide examples of Just-in-Time Syllabus development and pedagogy.

>>Participants will be asked to bring a current or planned syllabus to
transform during the workshop. Materials and sources used will be given to
each participant.

>>Shyamala Raman, Associate Professor of Economics and International Studies
at Saint Joseph College and Jean Shackelford, Professor of Economics,
Bucknell University will
>>co-direct the workshop. Between them Professors Raman and Shackelford have
over a half-century of teaching undergraduates and both are active in
exploring and adapting
>>technology and melding it with feminist pedagogy in economics.
>>
>>Kim Sosin, University of Nebraska, Omaha, Associate Editor, Online Section
of the Journal of Economic Education, will explore up-to-the-minute, online
data and information sources for a variety of economics topics and potential
projects.

>>The workshop is limited to 30 participants.
>>
>>The tentative workshop outline includes:
>>
>>Introductions: 10:00 - 10:30
>>This short period would introduce participants, facilitators,
>>and give a brief overview of the goals of the workshop.
>>
>>Morning Session: 11:00 - 12:30
>>
>>Lunch: 12:30-1:15 (box lunch and conversations about teaching)
>>
>>Afternoon Session 1:15-2:30
>>
>>Wrap Up Session: 2:30 - 3:00 -A final session devoted to answering
questions that have arisen during the workshop.

>>       To register please send the coupon below to:
>>
>>Jean Shackelford
>>C/o Barbara Krohn
>>IAFFE Teaching and Pedagogy Issues Committee
>>Department of Economics
>>Bucknell University
>>Lewisburg, PA 17837 USA
>>email, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

>>I am interested in attending the Just in Time
>>SyllabusWorkshop on the day preceding the ASSA meetings
>>(January 4, 2001).
>>
>>Name:
>>
>>Address:__________________________________________________________________
_____

>>Phones: (O)____________________; (H)
>>____________________; (F)____________________
>>
>>e-mail:
>>_______________________________________________________________________
>>
>>Registration fee is $25 for graduate students; $50 for IAFFE
>>members; $75 for non-IAFFE members
>>Make check or money order payable to IAFFE
>>or: Visa or MasterCard number:
>>________________________________________________
>>
>>expiration date: __________ Signature:

Dr. Stefanie S. Rixecker, Senior Lecturer
Environmental Management & Design Division
Lincoln University, Canterbury
PO Box 84
Aotearoa New Zealand
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]