x-posted from WTES.

Stefanie Rixecker
ECOFEM Coordinator

Date sent:              Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:21:00 -0700
From:                   "Fiona S. Crofton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:                WTES: BIOD AI: Prisoner of Conscience in the Canadian War of
the Woods
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Very much worth a read.

WORLDWIDE FOREST/BIODIVERSITY CAMPAIGN NEWS
ACTION ITEM: Prisoner of Conscience in the Canadian War of the Woods
Forest Networking a Project of Forests.org, Inc.
      http://forests.org/ -- Forest Conservation Archives & Portal

10/26/00
OVERVIEW & COMMENTARY
The following is a fantastic article by 72-year-old great-grandmother
Betty Krawczyk, a courageous Canadian forest defender sentenced to 1
year in jail for defending British Columbia's forests.  Her inspiring
story is illustrative of the spirit of those that realize that
defending forests is the battle to defend all of existence.  Betty
states:

"The eco-systems on this continent are extremely fragile.  And so is
democracy.  If we really want these twin wonders, these incredible
gifts that make life worth living, then we must fight for these over
and over again.  If we don't, the alternatives are complete corporate
rule and a trashed, logging-induced desert of a continent to leave to
our grandchildren."

Betty makes a strong and compelling case for civil disobedience to
"interfere with the feverish destruction of our life-support
systems."  Indeed, as Betty indicates, "We need a revolution in our
forests."

Betty can be contacted at the Burnaby Correctional Centre for Women,
address given at the end of the attached article.  Please also write
British Columbia's Premier, Ujjal Dosanjh to protest imprisonment of
those non-violently protecting creation.  Let the Premier know what
you think about logging 1000-year-old trees that provide prime
grizzly and spotted owl habitat; and maintain regional ecological
patterns and processes.  You may also want to consider organizing
civil disobedience to protect that special patch of forest in your
life.  You will be glad you did.
g.b.

RELAYED TEXT STARTS HERE:

Title:  Prisoner of conscience in the war of the woods
Source:  Vancouver Sun, Copyright 2000, Page A21; via the Western
   Canada Wilderness Committee