Well, since Elizabeth asked, all you have to do to avoid the site registration
for the New York Times is replace the www.nytimes.com portion of the link with
partners.nytimes.com - an old slashdot.org trick.

So you could copy the URL to the browser and replace the www with partners and
it would go directly to the article.

If you are registered with the site, it just takes you there directly if you
have it save the registration to your browser.

These aren't teasers, they're story links.  I know a lot of people are paranoid
about registration, but most sites suck down your browser configuration objects
anyway - name, address, email address - this happens on probably 90 percent of
all sites you visit which you think don't record info about you.

Programmatically, it's not hard to do.  You can also track where people go on
the page and various other things with invisible GIFs and other such tricks.

And I try not to post long news items if I have a capsule description, as I
figure people may not wish to read the rest of the article sometimes, and the
short capsule helps you decide if it interests you.

Will Affleck-Asch
who's the List Admin for PNWFEM-GEN and PNWFEM-LEG, hosted through the
Washington State NOW website