[good advice, useful to all US citizens - Will]
----- forwarded message -----
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:00:10 -0800
From: Tina Schulstad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Below please find a call to action from the Sierra Club National Office,
sent to us by Michael McGinn, our Council delegate.

Tina Schulstad

SPECIAL ACTION DAILY:

     ACT IMMEDIATELY TO PROTECT FAIR ELECTIONS

     It's already been proven that every single vote matters in this
     presidential election.  However, it appears that not all those votes
     have been fairly or accurately counted.  Grassroots efforts can
     encourage a re-vote in Palm Beach County, Florida. It's all about
     creating demand for a fair, accurate election.  We need your help!

     CONTENTS:

     1. TAKE ACTION
     2. Sierra Club Press Statement
     3. Sample Letters-to-the-Editor

     1. TAKE ACTION

     First: EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!: Get on the radio!  Call in to your local
     talk radio stations, and then get your friends to call them.  It
     doesn't matter if you think the station is right-wing -- we need to
     get voices on the air talking about how this is about upholding the
     rule of law and doing the right thing for the country.  Get on the air
     on as many call-in radio shows as you can.  You can use points from
     our statement below to refute opponents' arguments.

     Second: Use the sample letters-to-the-editor below to send letters to
     your local papers calling for fairness, accuracy and the respect of
     true democracy.

     Third:  Talk to your friends.  Create buzz.  We want to build an
     atmosphere of public demand for a fair election.  Get out there and
     talk to people!

     2.  Sierra Club Press Statement

     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
     November 9, 2000
     Contact:
     Allen Mattison, 202-675-7903

     SIERRA CLUB CALLS FOR PALM BEACH RE-VOTE,
     URGES FEDERAL INVESTIGATION INTO VOTING IMPROPRIETIES

     WASHINGTON -- The Sierra Club today called for a re-vote in Palm Beach
     County, Florida, given the dispute over invalidated or miscast ballots
     in the Presidential election, and urged the federal government to
     conduct an investigation into improprieties that may have compromised
     voters' civil rights.  To avoid a divisive, lengthy legal battle, the
     Sierra Club is asking Vice President Al Gore and Texas Governor George
     W. Bush to join with the overwhelming public sentiment and call for a
     re-vote.

     "Americans want our President to be chosen fairly and by the rules of
     our Constitution," said national Sierra Club President Dr. Robert Cox.
     "Thousands of Palm Beach County residents took the time to vote on
     Tuesday, and they don't want their voices muzzled by a confusing
     ballot.  The best way to assure a fair election is to re-vote in Palm
     Beach County.  Rather than dragging this out, the Sierra Club is
     urging both Gore and Bush to join with the public in calling for a
     re-vote in Palm Beach County.  It would be a shame if the wrong person
     were elected President simply because the ballots in one county
     confused voters."

     In Palm Beach County, the ballots were aligned in a way that made it
     difficult for some voters determine which hole to punch to cast their
     vote for Gore.  This misalignment led to some people accidentally
     voting for Pat Buchanan.  Buchanan garnered over 3,400 votes in that
     county, far disproportionate to his vote share elsewhere in Florida.
     In addition, more than 19,000 Palm Beach County ballots were rejected
     because more than one person's name had been punched.

     "Everyone I've talked to in our county wants a re-vote," said Lisa
     Hanley, chair of the Sierra Club's Loxahatche Group, the local branch
     for Palm Beach County.  "When we mentioned the confusing ballot on our
     local Sierra Club email list, two members immediately responded that
     they'd accidentally voted for Buchanan.  It's quite clear that in Palm
     Beach County, the confusing ballot threw thousands of votes from Al
     Gore to Pat Buchanan.  Bad ballots shouldn't determine the election.
     We want an accurate vote, and that requires a re-vote."

     This morning, on NBC's Today Show, Buchanan himself said: "Those are
     probably not my votes in those precincts in Palm Beach County. ... I
     probably got some votes down there that really did not belong to me.
     ...  I do not want to take any votes that don't belong to me. ... If
     the two candidates they pushed were Buchanan and Gore, almost
     certainly those are Al Gore's votes, not mine."

     The Florida Supreme Court has rendered several decisions relating to
     elections.  In Boardman v. Esteva, 323 So.259, 269 (Fla. 1975), it
     held that "the primary consideration in an election contest is whether
     the will of the people has been effected."  Another important decision
     (Hill v. Milander, 72 So.2d 796 [Fla. 1954]) held that "what the law
     requires is that the ballot be fair and advise the voter sufficiently
     to enable him intelligently to cast his ballot."  The state's courts
     repeat these maxims consistently in the case law.  In addition, FL
     Statute 101.191, regarding the form of general election ballot, says
     that voters should mark their choice to the right of the candidate's
     name, indicating that the Palm Beach County ballot may not have
     adhered to the law.

     # # #

     3.  Sample LTE's

     To the Editor:

     As an American voter who respects our democratic system, I feel that
     George W. Bush is morally bound to call for a re-vote in the places in
     Florida where confusing ballots made voting difficult.

     Any person who would lead America as President and says "I trust the
     people" should be happy to allow concerned citizens to vote their
     minds.  Someone who says he wants to "restore honor and dignity to the
     White House" should not allow himself to come to power in such an
     questionable and possibly illegitimate way.  Al Gore won the popular
     vote; George Bush should acknowledge that every step should be taken
     to ensure the true will of the American people is heard.

     We have to look at why we vote in the first place--to express our
     desire for how the country should be governed.  If thousands of people
     say they were not able to accurately express themselves, it should be
     our moral obligation to make sure this is corrected.

     To the Editor:

     All Americans are guaranteed the right to vote for the candidate of
     their choice, not just someone who miraculously translates a confusing
     ballot.  In Palm Beach, Florida, over 19,000 voters lost their right
     to vote this election year because of a jumbled ballot.  Further,
     thousands more unknowingly cast votes for Pat Buchanan, in all
     likelihood thinking they were voting for Al Gore.

     Hundreds of angry voters have closed down the street in front of the
     Palm Beach County election office, demanding a revote in the
     presidential race.  They believe their right to vote was blocked and
     they want to cast their ballots again.  And rightly so.  They were
     misled by the ballot when they voted.

     If we want to choose our next president fairly, Palm Beach County
     voters should be allowed to vote again--with an understandable ballot.