FYI...

Stefanie Rixecker
ECOFEM Coordinator

From:   Marcus Hall ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Sent:   12 February 2001
Subject: ANN: Natives & Exotics in History -  Workshop / Florence - APRIL,
2001

        ENVIRONMENTAL HISTORY WORKSHOP

Date:    APRIL 20-21, 2001
Location:  European University Institute, Florence, Italy
Title:      "THE NATIVE, NATURALIZED, AND EXOTIC:
        PLANTS AND ANIMALS IN EUROPEAN HISTORY"

The format will be presentations followed by discussions, while focusing on
the following questions:

    -How have animals and plants moved across Europe to alter human history?
    -When have Europeans considered exotic species good or bad and why?
    -How has treatment of non-human species recapitulated treatment of human
species?
    -How has Europe's global biological exchange altered world history?

Our goal is to explore Crosby's themes about ecological exchange on a
European level.  Our hope is that we can attract a small, enthusiastic
group of scholars to discuss these fascinating topics in a remarkable
setting.
THE FOLLOWING IS A FIRST LIST OF PRESENTERS PLUS PAPER TITLES:

T. CHRIS SMOUT, historian, University of St. Andrews, Scotland
 "The 'alien species' in twentieth-century Britain: constructing a new
vermin"

KENNETH OLWIG, geographer, University of Trondheim, Norway
"Natives and Aliens in the European National Landscape"

THORKILD KJAERGAARD, museum director and historian, Denmark
"~the rise of clover in Europe and its effect on world history (900-2000)"

JAMES DICKSON, biologist, University of Glasgow, Scotland
"History of Archaeophytes (early introduced plants) in Scotland"

JONATHON CLARK, historian, University of St. Andrews, Scotland
"~fears of insect invasions in the nineteenth century"

Schedule:       April 20, Friday        -    9:00 - 17:30
                April 21, Saturday      -    9:00 - 13:00

+++   AS THERE IS STILL SPACE ON THE SCHEDULE, PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU
THINK YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO ATTEND AND/OR PRESENT AT THIS WORKSHOP.   +++

TRAVEL & HOTEL:  We expect that most participants will want to stay in
Florence from April  19 (late) to April 22 (early), which includes three
nights (Thurs-Fri-Sat).  Some of you can therefore take advantage of Apex
or other budget flights.  Because this weekend falls one week after Easter,
you should make reservations soon.

Several single and double rooms have been reserved at a nearby hotel, which
is a fifteen-minute walk from our institute (and a ten-minute walk to the
bustop for Florence).  Accommodations are simple and comfortable with
private bathrooms.  COST:  50 Euro (about $50) per night.  The hotel is
called the "Centro Studi CISL"  - Via della Piazzola 71, Florence, phone:
+39-055-503-2111, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Luisa Passerini, professor
Peter Becker, professor
Marcus Hall, Jean Monnet Fellow - WORKSHOP COORDINATOR
  EMAIL:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*********************************
Department of History & Civilization
European University Institute
Villa Schifanoia, Via Boccaccio 121, I-50133 Firenze - Italy
http://www.iue.it/

Dr. Stefanie S. Rixecker, Senior Lecturer
Environmental Management & Design Division
Lincoln University, Canterbury
PO Box 84
Aotearoa New Zealand
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]