Euan,

Most sampling designs, regardless of geographic location, are taxon
specific so it would be useful to know what group your friend is working
with.  Always good to run some analyses with preliminary data.  For
animals this would involve SR repeated sampling to estimate both
detection probabilities and sampling adequacy.

A good paper to start with is

Colwell, R. K., and J. A. Coddington. 1994. Estimating terrestrial
biodiversity through extrapolation. Philosophical Transactions of the
Royal Society of London. B 345:101-118.

Go to http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu/EstimateS7Pages/PubsThatCiteEstS.htm
is a good place to search for papers too as well as link to the software
program EstimateS.

If you do repeated sampling (over time), I don't think EstimateS handles
this but CAPTURE/MARK does.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Jeffrey A. Stratford, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Associate
331 Funchess Hall
Department of Biological Sciences
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849
334-329-9198
FAX 334-844-9234
http://www.auburn.edu/~stratja
>>> "Landis, R Matthew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/25/05 9:33 AM >>>
For basic issues of sampling and statistics, an excellent resource is
the recent book by Peter Feinsinger, Designing Field Studies for
Biodiversity Conservation (Island Press, 2001).

Matt Landis
R. Matthew Landis, Ph.D.
Dept. Biology
Middlebury College