One of the bigger problems with the statistics courses (Bus., Psych, or
Math) that we accept/require for undergrads is that they have so very
little to do with anything relevant.  Out of frustration, I created a
course for majors that begins with data collection and ends with a
presentation and covers the steps along the way, and in so doing I can
easily incorporate the statistics needed.  For what, >90% of all
questions?, we need Chi2, t-test (1-way AOV), correlation, and/or
regression.  Very simple stuff.  We get in trouble when we go deeper
than that without the training or experience.  We do not need less
training in statistics, we do need more appropriate instruction.

For example, to my recollection, a most valuable piece of advice from my
diss. adviser was to stop focusing on the means and look at the
variation, particularly on graphs.  In other words, learning to
interpret statistics has to do with knowing what is important in a
statistical sense.  For my beginning students, the ABCs are
randomization, replication, and control, with considerable focus on the
importance and influence of sample size.

On the other hand, the course isn't really about statistics, it's about
experimental design and then that leads into the appropriate tests for
the particular questions.

My vote?  Keep the statistics, but be careful letting others teach it.
Cheers,
Andy

Andrew R. Dyer
Asst. Professor of Ecology