POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

Director, The Natural Capital Project

A Partnership Among
The Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Fund, and Stanford University

The Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Fund, and Stanford University
together seek to fill the position of Director of The Natural Capital
Project.  The aim of the Project is to build a scientific basis, and broad
institutional support, for protecting Earth’s vital life-support services,
using innovative conservation incentives.

Position Objectives:

* Provide central leadership and coordination for this recently launched
joint effort.

* Working with TNC, WWF, and SU staff, establish Project priorities,
strategies, and approaches; provide guidance to Project development and
implementation; coordinate financial and administrative support for
individual Project sites and supporting efforts; facilitate communication
and coordination among Project sites and institutions.

* Represent the Project in engagement with private landowners, local
communities, government agencies, the private sector, and other key
institutions.

Principal Responsibilities:

1.  Oversee, coordinate, and administer all aspects of the Project, in
consultation with key Project members at TNC, WWF, and Stanford.  Promote
creative thinking, organization, and communication.

2.  Establish Project strategies, approaches, and funding priorities, in
consultation with key Project members.  Guide project development and
implementation in each project site, preferably with close engagement in
two of these sites.  Focal Project sites are in the Sierra Nevada of
California, the Upper Yangtze River Basin of China, and the Eastern Arc
mountains of East Africa.

3.  Organize and run symposia and workshops, convening both core Project
members (TNC, WWF staff; Stanford faculty and students) and key partners
in other institutions, especially in the public and private sectors.

4.  Lead fund-raising effort to support Project efforts, in collaboration
with TNC, WWF, and Stanford staff.  Assist with proposal development,
contact with potential donors, representation at key meetings, and contact
with and reporting to existing supporters.

5.  Oversee communications, via a web site, written updates, contact with
the media, and direct communication with key people and institutions.

Qualifications:

Applicants must have:

• 3 years minimum of management experience in conservation programs;
• Demonstrated ability to raise funds from diverse sources including
government, foundations, and the private sector;
• Ability to foster teamwork within the program, and to lead,
inspire, supervise and manage field staff from a distance;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.

The position is based at Stanford University and includes a significant
travel schedule.  Salary level is commensurate with experience.

Application

Applications should be sent to:

Gretchen Daily
Department of Biological Sciences
371 Serra Mall
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-5020 USA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If applying by email please put “Director, The Natural Capital Project” in
the “Subject” field and follow with a hard copy by regular mail.

Applications should include a cover letter describing the reason for
interest in and suitability for the job, full curriculum vitae, and the
names of three referees.

Timing:  Position will remain open until filled, but applications will be
evaluated on 22 Feb 06.

Background on The Natural Capital Project

The vision of The Natural Capital Project is a future in which
conservation is mainstream – that is, economically attractive and common-
place throughout the world.  To achieve this vision, we will work together
to develop and deploy conservation approaches that stand out in three
respects:  (i) in focusing on the protection of ecosystem services, as
well as biodiversity, as explicit goals; (ii) in using innovative economic
incentives; and (iii) in implementing these incentives in human-dominated,
as well as more pristine landscapes and seascapes.

We will commence with three strategic and concurrent foci:

(1)  Advancing the theory
We plan to characterize ecosystem services from biophysical and
socioeconomic perspectives, greatly advancing the existing framework and
the analytical tools that support its application.  We will convene
problem-solving forums to tackle key issues, from mapping the provision,
consumption, and value of services across landscapes and seascapes, to
priority setting in a dynamic planning framework, to the design of
financial mechanisms that reward conservation in contrasting
institutional/cultural contexts.

(2) Putting theory into practice
We expect to learn by doing – by applying the theory in TNC and WWF field
projects, to test and refine it in a tightly integrated way.  We will
focus our problem-solving efforts on three strategically selected places,
where together we have strength and commitment, and where insights of
broad significance can be gleaned relatively quickly.  These places are
The Upper Yangtze River Basin in China, the Sierra Nevada in California,
and the Eastern Arc mountains in East Africa.

(3) Magnifying our impact
As we learn, we aim to magnify our impact well beyond these pilot places
through a well-targeted strategy of communication and engagement.  To
achieve this, we will foster new leaders and networks of influence that
extend into vital parts of the private and public sectors
internationally.