I don't know if too many people would have much trouble with the sort of thing
you describe. However, what I see as somewhat insidious is the repackaging of
the old discredited Wynne-Edwards arguments with concepts of "memes", which I
guess started with Dawkins' Extended Phenotype to produce really wooly ideas
about "cultural evolution" whereby "memes" replace genes as the units of
selection.

This gets us into the notion that certain "good memes" are "right" and should
be promoted, and "bad memes" are "wrong" and should be expunged. While one can
take certain rhetorical high roads here, the idea that someone is supposed to
decide which ideas are "good" and which are "bad" is rather chilling. While we
have had eugenics movements in the past, we have also had "applications" of the
ideas of "cultural evolution" in places like Cambodia and China, and quite
frankly, they don't look too appealing to me.

There is, of course, no data to support the memes evolution idea, and lots of
data to support the idea of the evolution of human behaviors by natural
selection (of course you can't ever PROVE anything). IMHO, the cultural
evolution types use the same tactics as creationists when they present their
arguments. It is really odd for me to see someone like Sober debunking
creationist style arguments in one part of a recent book on the philosophy of
science, while using the same sort of rhetoric creationists use to promote the
idea of cultural evolution in another part of the book.

Rob Hamilton

"So easy it seemed once found, which yet
unfound most would have thought impossible"

John Milton

Robert G. Hamilton
Department of Biological Sciences
Mississippi College
P.O. Box 4045
200 South Capitol Street
Clinton, MS 39058
Phone: (601) 925-3872
FAX (601) 925-3978

>>> Bill Silvert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/14/2006 5:35 PM >>>
I've seen lengthy arguments about group selection, most of which border on
the religious. I really don't understand why it is such an outrageous idea.

Consider chemical defenses which presumably evolve randomly and persist if
they enhance fitness. If a chemical makes an organism smell bad, then it is
clearly a case of individual selection. But suppose that the chemical is a
poison so that the predators can eat the organisms, but then they die.
Predators that like that kind of prey will be selected against, and although
the toxic individuals get consumed, after a while the group's survival is
enhanced. Is this so outlandish? There are after all lots of living
organsims out there which are edible but toxic.

Bill Silvert