Ned is right in one respect, IBMs are conceptually straightforward and easy
to understand, but there are lots of pitfalls along the way. One is that
they are computer-intensive and can be very slow to run. A more important
problem is that it is easy to make mistakes in setting up the problem. I
recall one paper I reviewed which illustrated the method with the old
fox-rabbit system beloved by Lotka-Volterra theorists, but the foxes ended
up starving to death even though there were rabbits within 100 m - it was
just to hard to get the search algorithm right.

To be fair, IBMs are most often used to model spatial effects (moving from
one grid cell to another) and these are very difficult to get right. Spatial
models are probably the hardest to build due to the problems of
understanding and predicting how animals will move around. That is why there
are really no spatial fisheries models to speak of.

If anyone wants to experiment with IBMs without getting into the heavy
programming that they often involve, I recommend the free modelling package
NetLogo from Northwestern U. which is easy to use and will get you into the
field relatively painlessly. I took a complicated C++ model of the North Sea
that I developed with two other colleagues and came up with a NetLogo
approximation in an afternoon (the model is on their website - I don't have
the URL handy since I live in the country far from broadband, but do a
search on NetLogo to find it.).

Someone asked for the Starfield citation, he has written quite a few books
and papers, but his classic is: Starfield, A.M. and A.L. Bleloch. 1991.
Building Models for Conservation and Wildlife Management. Second edition,
The Burgess Press, Edina, Minnesota. It's hard to find and the title is
awful, but it's a really good book. I particularly like his concept of
"frames" which offers a way to deal with discontinuities such as
metamorphosis.

I guess I'll put in a plug for one of my own papers, Silvert, William. 2001.
Modelling as a Discipline. Int. J. General Systems 30: 261-282. A Polish
translation was published  in the "Projektowanie i Systemy" volume XVII in
2004, and the PDF (of the English version) is on the web at
http://bill.silvert.org/pdf.

Bill Silvert