One capability that is relatively new that I don't think anyone mentioned is
the ability to display previously uploaded imagery and vectors: depending on
your goal, using the imagery, manual location selection (which is a
capability of TDS's Solo Field, but not, as far as I know, Terrasync or
ArcPad), and GPS as a navigation tool can allow you to get extremely
accurate positions without the need for expensive GPSs (the dataloggers need
to be Windows CE, but you can use most cheapo GPS cards).  We used this
successfully to map individual trees in Sierra Forests by displaying
Quickbird satellite data.

Particularly for high spatial resolution mapping projects, no matter how
good your GPS is, if your image orthorectification is off (which it will
be), it won't matter much that your point is accurate to within a
millimeter.

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD