As far as teaching about invasions in an ecology vs. environmental science class
goes, I'll offer another perspective. I teach half a semester about ecology
using invasives species as a case study (a focus on tamarisk in particular since
it's such a widespread problem here). I talk about plant physiology, population
growth, measuring species richness and biodiversity, and ecosystem dynamics in
this context. I also talk about assessing the problem, biological control and
other methods of control, again, using that ecological basis.  Students measure
species biodiversity in the field and write a scientific paper using these data.
This is a useful way to get across basic scientific concepts and basic
ecological concepts in an applied framework. This is, by the way, a 100 level
course. It is an environmental science course, but I'd feel comfortable teaching
it as an ecology course as well.

Cheers
Tamera Minnick

Tamera Minnick, Ph.D.