More recently, a response to the Gurevitch and Padilla
article involved reanalyzing IUCN Red List extinctions
after "reassessing the role of invasive species in
those extinctions."  It's not clear just how they were
reassessed, but this review came to a very different
conclusion, as reflected in the title:

Clavero, M. and E. Garcý´a-Berthou. 2005. Invasive
species are a major cause of animal extinctions. TREE
20:110.

That entire issue (20) of TREE is focused on invasive
species, and the following article in it explores how
to determine if invasive species drive natives'
declines in degraded ecosystems or if invasive species
are just along for the ride and the degradation is the
driver:

Didham, R.K., J.M. Tylianakis, M.A. Hutchison, R.M.
Ewers and N.J. Gemmell. 2005. Are invasive species the
drivers of ecological change? TREE 20:470-474.

That article was sparked by an experimental test in
which removal of invasives did not result in an
increase in biodiversity, suggesting invasives were
just "passengers" riding along with the degradation:

MacDougall, A.S. and R. Turkington. 2005. Are invasive
species the drivers or passengers of change in
degraded ecosystems? Ecology 86:42–55.

Didam et al. cautioned that different species and
systems may differ, but that MacDougall and
Turkington's experimental test could help determine
the role of invasives in native species declines in
those different situations.

Personally speaking, I work on controlling invasive
Lygodium spp. (climbing ferns) in Florida and while
there is no evidence they have caused extinction that
I know of, they climb over and blanket large swaths of
land, including Everglades tree islands, smothering
the trees and plants beneath.  The explosive growth of
Lygodium spp. in Florida is astonishing and there are
lots of instances of its growth in abundance in
remote, otherwise-undisturbed areas.  I think Lygodium
spp. could provide a test to whether invasive species
could be a driver in native biodiversity decline.

Cheryl Millett