M.S./Ph.D. Graduate Student Assistantship.

I am seeking an individual with experience in soil science, wetlands,
coastal habitats, or landscape analysis to work on a study aimed at
investigating relationships between soil properties and the use and
management of shallow-subtidal habitats. The goal of the study is to develop
a soil-based interpretive tool that can be used to assess the condition of
the shallow-subtidal habitats for use, management, and conservation.  In our
previous research, we determined that shallow-subtidal habitats can be
mapped using soil and landscape analysis. In addition, we found that
subaqueous soils properties can be used as determining factors for coastal
management decisions such as locations for submerged aquatic vegetation
restoration. In this study, we will continue to develop a soil-based coastal
management and conservation tool by examining relationships between
subaqueous soils and a number of uses (and associated habitats) in shallow
subtidal ecosystems. Responsibilities of the graduate assistant will be to
inventory the soils and habitat of a range of shallow subtidal environments,
to sample and characterize the soils in these settings, to evaluate these
soil properties relative to use and management of the habitats. Critical
questions may include but are not restricted to: What effect does dredging
have on these habitats? What effect do docks, piers, and similar structures
have on habitats? Can these soils be managed for carbon sequestration? How
does water quality attributes effect soils and habitats? Are certain
subtidal soil/landscapes important sink for groundwater nitrate through
denitrification? What subtidal soil/landscapes can be used for shellfish
aquaculture?  Please send résumé, college transcripts, and statement of
interest to: Dr. Mark Stolt, Department of Natural Resources Science, One
Greenhouse Road, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, 02881, phone
401-874-2915, fax 401-874-4561, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
URI’s Department of Natural Resources Science conducts research in pedology,
soil-environmental science, soil ecology, wetland and watershed science,
landscape ecology, GIS, and wildlife and environmental management.