I agree with the postings below.  A purely scientific approach to conservation
of natural resources is unlikely to go anywhere without a thorough
understanding of the socio-economic causes of natural resource degradation.
However, NGOs do not always have the answer or the understanding needed to
develop a successful approach.  In my experience groups like CARE with years of
experience working with local populations are more likely to develop successful
approaches than the strictly environmental NGOs.  Also some international
development agencies, like USAID, led the way in developing successful
approaches to natural resource, including biodiversity, conservation.

One example, for years foresters claimed to know how to manage tropical forests
for sustainable production, but their schemes constantly failed.  They blamed
the failures on extraneous causes.  The most common cause of failure was, and
is, the spontaneous colonization of forest areas following harvesting which
built logging roads making the areas accessible to the rural poor looking for
land to grow subsistence crops.  The only "successful" attempts to manage
tropical forests of which I am aware are those which directly involve local
populations of poor in the (economic) benefits derived.  Unfortunately, there
still appear to be too many  foresters around who do not understand this
dynamic.  I think that most of the NGOs have now caught on, but for a while
they too believed that valuable biodiversity resources could be protected by
drawing a line on a map, declaring the area a protected area, and posting a few
guards.

A letter to the editor of the most recent edition of The Nature Conservancy
magazine decrying the Conservancy's work to alleviate poverty in and around
protected areas indicates that the NGOs still have a lot of educational work to
do with their membership.

I also should note here that most, if not all, of the "sustainable" forest
management plans which are certified by groups like the Forest Stewardship
Council may be "sustainable" in terms of  timber production but probably aren't
in terms of biodiversity conservation.  As far as I am aware even the best of
these management plans do not take into account the impact of timber harvesting
on the species of plants and animals living in the forest canopy.

Bob Mowbray
Tropical Forest Ecologist