"Sustainable" forest management is a good example of this.  It usually means
sustainable production of timber products and may or may not include other
environmental values (water, soil, wildlife, biodiversity) associated with
forests.  This is expecially true of "sustainable" management of tropical
forests where most of the nutrients are held in the vegetation, not the soils,
and where much of the biodiversity lives in the forest canopy.

"Sustainable agriculture" in the tropics is another example.  Most so called
sustainable agricultural practices promoted for oxisols and ultisols in the
tropics are probably more sustainable than traditional slash and burn practices
(not the indigenous shifting agricultural practices) of spontaneous and
government sponsored colonizers but are not "sustainable".   They of course do
not sustain biodiversity, watershed protection, and other environmental values
- probably not even soil fertility and soil physical properties upon which the
"sustainability" of agriculture depends.

Robert Mowbray