From: Wayne Tyson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 11:12 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: Conservation in Agricultural Landscapes and NCEAS proposal

Yes, my American Heritage Dictionary does say that, but one needs to
go to the appendix of Indo-European roots for "skep," for the 'Base
of words with various technical meanings such as "to cut," "to
scrape," "to hack."'

What I meant was that almost anything done to add species to a
monoculture should increase biological diversity--this for rhetorical
effect through its absurdity (granted, my humor is far from shared by
all).

As for the root of agriculture, I cannot find my original source for
the Latin "cultus" meaning "to cut" exactly, but I'll work on
it.  Meanwhile, any help from etymologists or Latin scholars, hell,
even entomologists who would care to bug me or put a bug in my ear,
would be welcome.

My point with the word origins is that the pre-historic roots of
terms can at least provide entertaining, if not informative,
contrasts to current semantics.  For example, "landscaping" can be
more accurately portrayed as land-scraping without resort to
punning.  Ecologists, I presume, understand the absurdity of
replacing organisms like azaleas, for example, with camellias, that
may not fit as well into, say, the Oregon "landscape," to employ the
popular phrase, ironically requiring the scraping of the land to
effect the transformation of the indigenous to the exotic.  And this
is no doubt one of the gentler examples--I could cite "landscaping"
with birch trees in the desert, or killing off the American bison, a
free and abundant source of protein, for a bunch of Bos sp. and Rice
Crispies.

Thanks to Warren for his challenge and alertness in catching my errors.

WT

As to on-line etymologies, the one's I've found are pretty
shallow.  I'lla bega da question later--if I can find the reference.