The free Java program ImageJ was developed for medical research
applications, and can be used to count "blobs" in an image. I've used
it for counting shrubs in aerial photographs.

The program is available from:
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/

and there's a tutorial for counting things at:
http://links.baruch.sc.edu/scael/notebook/imagej_counts/counts.html

It isn't completely automatic, but much, much faster than doing it
manually.

I don't know, though, how well it will work with masses of blobs a la
frog eggs, compared to discrete blobs like bacterial clusters.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee